[SOLVED] New CPU+MOBO and windows 10 install

Tomas_269

Reputable
Mar 16, 2017
Hi, I'm about to upgrade my PC. Assuming all parts work, how should I deal with the current Windows 10? I want to keep all my data, app installs and users on this PC, so fresh clean install is something I want to avoid.

currrent system: FX-4350 with 8GB DDR3 on a MSI 970A-G43, 1060 3GB, SSD 250GB with dual boot - one is Windows 10 and second is permament windows 10 installation image on a separate partition, and another 1GB HDD for storage.

upgrades coming: i5-6500 with 8GB DDR4 on a MSI B150M Mortar

Solution

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Changing chipsets and drivers adding more registry entries, it's highly recommended backing up everything you can that isn't an installed program and do a fresh reinstall. Mashing the above is potential recipe for odd things to happen and undesirable performance.

It'll be a slow process getting things back to how you had it and will be worth it in the end.

Reactions: Unolocogringo

USAFRet

Titan
I want to keep all my data, app installs and users on this PC, so fresh clean install is something I want to avoid.
With that level of change, fresh OS install.

With a change like this and the old OS install, there are 3 possible outcomes:
  1. It works just fine.
  2. It fails completely.
  3. It "works", but you're chasing issues for weeks/months.

#1 is the least likely to happen. A Windows install is not modular. to moved around on different hardware.

Yes, no one likes to do it. However, it needs to be done.

Reactions: Unolocogringo
As indicated above a clean install is the best option. Primarily you have to consider that you're changing from an AMD system to an Intel system, which is not as simple as it sounds.

More importantly, you have to remember that your Windows license is linked to your motherboard. So once you boot up, you'll need to be prepared to go through the activation process again, which may involve calling microsoft and begging and groveling.