New CPU now I get ‘no signal’

Sep 7, 2018
I’ve changed CPUS from the G4400 (worked fine for months) to the i3 8100 and now I get no image on my display, can anyone help please?

Solution
the G4400 is a 7th gen skylake CPU. even though it has the same socket type intel has not made 8th gen CPU's compatible with your motherboard. you will either have to get a newer 300 series motherboard or return the CPU and get a i3 6100 or 7100

What motherboard do you have?
Are you sure that it supports the 8th gen I3?

update: According to this:
https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/B150-PRO-GAMING/HelpDesk_CPU/
the i3-8100 is NOT supported by that motherboard.

its hard to say. the biggest benefit is you already have DDR4 ram so you don't have to buy new ram again. it may be cheaper in the long run to return that 8100 and get a i3 7100 or better

with ryzen's being cheap though you may be able to get a good deal on a ryzen 5 CPU and motherboard for it

drinkingcola86

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2008
It seems most have answered most of the questions already. I'll say this though for if you should or shouldn't go Ryzen. It depends on your existing DDR4 memory speeds. Ryzen is more reactive with memory speeds than intel is but if it is 2400 mhz or better, I would switch. Or do what CaptainCharisma has said, return and get a better 7th gen intel chip.