[SOLVED] New CPU; should I get a new CPU cooler?

Jun 5, 2020
My "windows box" has a ~8 year old motherboard with a LGA775 socket. For many years I had a Core 2 Duo, 3 Ghz, in there.

I decided to upgrade the CPU to a Core 2 Quad, also 3 Ghz. I bought a used CPU from Amazon.

I used the Intel CPU cooler that came with the Core 2 Quad. I have had some trouble seating it; I think the pins may be damaged.

When I turn on the system, everything works fine, but the system runs at 2.66 Ghz, and I noticed that after a few hours the CPU temp was hovering around 90 C.

After viewing an Intel how-two video on installing a CPU fan, I reset the fan again. Turned on the system, leaving it on the BIOS screen. Temps soon hit the low 60s C.

Soooooo. I'm wondering if I need a new CPU fan. I see that Amazon sells replacement CPU fan "legs," and if the only problem was seating I could go that route. But I wouldn't mind spending $20 - $30 on a new cooler.

Preferably one that wouldn't require removing the motherboard, but really, I don't like those plastic fins, and something that screws into a bracket might be nicer.

Recommendations welcome!

Thanks

Stefan

P.S. Not familiar with overclocking, just want a better-performing system for my occasional Windows usage.

Solution
D
But I wouldn't mind spending $20 - $30 on a new cooler
Consider a Deepcool Gammaxx 400. It's in that price range and compatible with a host of Intel & AMD sockets, including LGA 775.

There is also no need to remove the motherboard to install it.

It will keep that CPU nice and cool.
D

Deleted member 2720853

But I wouldn't mind spending $20 - $30 on a new cooler
Consider a Deepcool Gammaxx 400. It's in that price range and compatible with a host of Intel & AMD sockets, including LGA 775.

Reactions: StefanEJ
Solution
Jun 5, 2020

I installed that cooler in my Windows box and fired it up this morning. After an hour the CPU temperature was still hovering below 30 C!

Thank you for the recommendation.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
It's simply amazing what the right equipment can actually do. Far too many people insist on saving $5 and end up with a cooler that's barely better than the stock cooler 'but the box says!.......'

That's a really good cooler for its price, 👍