[SOLVED] New Desktop PC Build - RAM Question

CloudyFaygo

Prominent
Sep 23, 2019
Hello everyone,

I have a generic question as I recently build a new Desktop PC for gaming purposes (Last build was in 2010). I already have put together, imaged, and setup the machine but am considering upgrading my RAM / Graphics Card in the near future. Was hoping to get some opinions as to whether its worth it.

My Current build is;

Case: Thermaltake A500 Aluminum Tempered Glass Gaming Case
Processor: Intel® Core™ i9-9900KF Processor (8x 3.60GHz/16MB L3 Cache)
Motherboard: ASUS TUF Z390-PLUS GAMING -- RGB, 802.11ac WiFi, USB 3.1 (6 Rear, 4 Front), TUF Protection
Memory: 16 GB [8 GB X2] DDR4-3000 Memory Module - G.SKILL Ripjaws V
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER - 8GB GDDR6 (VR-Ready) - Single Card
Power Supply: 850 Watt - Thermaltake Toughpower Grand RGB - 80 PLUS Gold, Full Modular
Processor Cooling: Thermaltake Water 3.0 240 ARGB Sync Edition RGB Liquid Cooling System
Primary Hard Drive: 1TB GB Samsung 860 PRO SSD -- Read: 560MB/s, Write: 530MB/s
Data Hard Drive: 2 TB Seagate Barracuda Hard Drive -- 256MB Cache, 7200RPM, 6.0Gb/s
External Optical Drive: ASUS USB 2.0 External Slim CD/DVD Writer (Black)
Sound Card: 3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard
Network Card: TP-Link Archer T6E AC1300 Wireless Network Card 802.11ac Dual-Band (2.4GHz/5GHz) up to 867 Mbps
USB Expansion Card: PCI-Express USB 3.0 Expansion Card (2x External Port + 1x Header)
Case Fans: 3x [RGB] Thermaltake Riing Trio 12 Radiator 120mm RGB LED Fan

What I am considering to change out would be the RAM to Corsairs 3200 32GB Vengeance sticks. (Is it worth it) https://www.newegg.com/corsair-32gb...+ram-_-20-236-454-_-2&Description=corsair+ram

I have read that my current graphics card, RTX 2080 Super will be falling behind sooner than later (Weakest Link) and was thinking about the difference between the RTX 2080 Ti....

Thoughts, opinions?

Last edited:
Solution
1. No I know and understand that 99.9% of games would NEVER come close to 16GB of ram usage, this is more of the question for the price is right as RAM is pretty cheap right now. I am not loaded with money but might be able to spare the extra $200-300 in the next couple weeks.
Well if your application doesn't use it, it's pointless. Adding additional RAM unless required by your applications with yield ZERO benefit. If your current usage only uses say 14GB with 2GB idle - upping it to 32GB will literally just add another 16GB sitting idle - so you'll have 18GB sitting idle, as opposed to the 2.

IF however your application will use more than the 16GB, then by all accounts that's a different story as your preventing excess virtual...

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums my friend!

I have read that my current graphics card, RTX 2080 Super will be falling behind sooner than later (Weakest Link) and was thinking about the difference between the RTX 2080 Ti....
Where have you heard this?

Do your games currently use more than 16GB? If not, then there is no point in upgrading to 32GB. The speed difference will also make no noticeable difference on an Intel system.

CloudyFaygo

Prominent
Sep 23, 2019
Welcome to the forums my friend!

Where have you heard this?

Do your games currently use more than 16GB? If not, then there is no point in upgrading to 32GB. The speed difference will also make no noticeable difference on an Intel system.

Thank you, have been using Tom`s Hardware for years to reference reports but never joined the forums.

1. No I know and understand that 99.9% of games would NEVER come close to 16GB of ram usage, this is more of the question for the price is right as RAM is pretty cheap right now. I am not loaded with money but might be able to spare the extra $200-300 in the next couple weeks.

2. Well I did some looking up regarding what the "most worth it" graphics card to get and it appears that for the price the 2080 Ti has the best performance. In comments section, I noticed that people were mentioning that the 2080 Super is lower performance than the normal 2080 which I did not understand.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Well if your application doesn't use it, it's pointless. Adding additional RAM unless required by your applications with yield ZERO benefit. If your current usage only uses say 14GB with 2GB idle - upping it to 32GB will literally just add another 16GB sitting idle - so you'll have 18GB sitting idle, as opposed to the 2.

IF however your application will use more than the 16GB, then by all accounts that's a different story as your preventing excess virtual memory usage.

2. Well I did some looking up regarding what the "most worth it" graphics card to get and it appears that for the price the 2080 Ti has the best performance. In comments section, I noticed that people were mentioning that the 2080 Super is lower performance than the normal 2080 which I did not understand.
Not sure where you see the 2080 outperforming the 2080Super. But there is little between them but usually the 2080 Super is slightly better, it's just value for money some might argue it's not worth it. Yes the 2080 Ti is better than the Super, but that's perfectly normal. And also costs signficantly more.

Solution