New Details Uncovered on AMD Richland APUs

Status
Not open for further replies.

tpi2007

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
This news doesn't really bring anything new to the table. At 32nm the same TDP is expected, and model numbers are meaningless. We don't learn anything that is important.

What exactly do enhanced Piledriver cores have for enhancements ? I'm not talking about an IMC with support for faster RAM, I'm talking about the CPU cores themselves. Is it just clocked faster, like at 4 Ghz, or will it have any sort of architectural enhancements ?

What about the GCN cores ? How many of them and at what clockspeed (I've read 800 Mhz somewhere) ?

Without these two things, we don't know anything about what to expect for performance compared to the current Piledriver Ax-5xxx series.

zooted

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010
They made a good 10-15% ipc performance from bulldozer core to piledriver, if we are lucky they will achieve the same. I hope they continue this trend, if so they might actually stand a chance in the future. (Fingers crossed)

jdwii

Splendid
Agreed, expect less then 10% improvement on the CPU on average maybe even less, As for the GPU well i'm sure we wont see anything to special, Amd is being really quiet and they always do that when their is nothing to see

scannall

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012
I recently purchased a new laptop with the A8-4500m. (Trinity) And it has really impressed me with it's performance for the price. And getting better is always good.

edgewood112358

Honorable
Mar 13, 2012
I am actually pretty enthusiastic about AMD's prospects. I recently put together a Trinity A8 system, which is quite snappy and games surprisingly well for a $350 PC... for the vast majority of customers and entry level gamers an A8 or A10 is all they need at the moment. Even if their desktop processors aren't so competitive with intel, their APU's are, in both the mobile and desktop space.

Throw in the low power Kabini and Temash SoC's that AMD is developing, which give them the possibility of piggybacking on the rise in popularity of tablets (either android or windows 8), and the impending release of the HD 8000 series, and I think AMD has the potential to do very well in the next couple years.

zooted

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010
[citation][nom]jdwii[/nom]Amd is being really quiet and they always do that when their is nothing to see[/citation]
When they over-hype something, they release Bulldozer =[

Nin10dO

Honorable
Jan 22, 2013
Hmm, the early rumors said something about a 28nm die. I'm desperate to know what the GPU's will perform on par with.

Marco925

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2008
[citation][nom]lostmyclan[/nom]when the global foundries can make 22nm[/citation]
Globalfoundries isn't part of AMD anymore. AMD contracts a variety of companies now.

zooted

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010
[citation][nom]parkerm35[/nom]I think you are probably going to be looking at 7750 speeds, my guess.[/citation]
If that's true its would be pretty amazing for an igp.

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
[citation][nom]zooted[/nom]They made a good 10-15% ipc performance from bulldozer core to piledriver, if we are lucky they will achieve the same. I hope they continue this trend, if so they might actually stand a chance in the future. (Fingers crossed)[/citation]

Kaveri I think is supposed to be the larger upgrade in performance than from Piledriver to Richland. Kaveri will come out in 2014 or so at 22nm or 28nm

parkerm35

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2010
Well a 7660D is around 10-15% slower than a 6670, depending on ram and circumstance. If you look at this chart of a 7750 performance from techpowerup, the 6670 is 30% slower than a 7750 and richland is 40% faster than trinity, so that would put between 95-100% the performance of a 7750.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/HD_7750/26.html

So i definitely think with decent ram you will be looking at a 7750 performance under the right circumstances, i.e. high AA scenes will feel the lack of bandwidth and performance will suffer.

deksman

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
Isn't the problem with AMD APU's that '4 cores' is basically just 2 modules and not 'real/physical' 4 cores like Intel has?

This easily explains why the A10 quad core is sorely lacking when its compared to an i7.

Now, bear in mind I'm not trying to discredit AMD, its just that the reason why it suffers from lower performance is a combination of IPC problem AND their cores.
This is why AMD's A10 is mostly comparable to i3 (and possibly an entry level i5).

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
When will AMD start including an on-die VRAM (DDR3 or GDDR5)? An APU with an VRAM would eat away at the low end discrete GPU market and threaten the middle end as well.

parkerm35

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2010
[citation][nom]deksman[/nom]Isn't the problem with AMD APU's that '4 cores' is basically just 2 modules and not 'real/physical' 4 cores like Intel has?This easily explains why the A10 quad core is sorely lacking when its compared to an i7.Now, bear in mind I'm not trying to discredit AMD, its just that the reason why it suffers from lower performance is a combination of IPC problem AND their cores.This is why AMD's A10 is mostly comparable to i3 (and possibly an entry level i5).[/citation]

Yeah they have 4 real cores, just not the rest of the CPU like a FPU for instance which the two cores must share, the cores are very real, what is shares is the parts that feed them. This is why Kaveri is so eagerly awaited, as the steamroller cores will be built to the point where they are more true cores.
They are expecting a big jump in IPC too! Some good news for gamers!

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20121122235832_AMD_s_Steamroller_High_Performance_Core_Slips_to_2014_Excavator_May_Face_Delays.html

Very good read for you :)

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
[citation][nom]parkerm35[/nom]Very good read for you[/citation]

Not really.. Lol. It's kinda sad because it looks like Steamroller may not actually see the light of day at all.
They've laid off so much staff and engineers that they don't really have the resources to pump these things out.

parkerm35

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2010
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]Not really.. Lol. It's kinda sad because it looks like Steamroller may not actually see the light of day at all.They've laid off so much staff and engineers that they don't really have the resources to pump these things out.[/citation]

Yeah see past all that rubbish, they have told us Kaveri is alive and will see the light, and that is Steamroller, just look at the tech side.

Status
Not open for further replies.