[SOLVED] New EVGA 1650 Super. Fans run but no GPU detection

Chicago60

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
Hi

I can not get my system to detect new GPU. The fans run, but nothing in Display adapters (other than on board Intel)
EVGA GeForce GTX 1650 SUPER SC
https://www.newegg.com/evga-geforce-gtx-1650-super-04g-p4-1357-kr/p/N82E16814487482

System Specs
MB
BIOSTAR TH67+ LGA 1155
https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813138296?Item=N82E16813138296

Memory
CORSAIR XMS3 8GB DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600)
https://www.newegg.com/corsair-8gb-240-pin-ddr3-sdram/p/N82E16820145315?Item=N82E16820145315

PSU
Antec EarthWatts Green EA-430D Green 430W
https://www.newegg.com/antec-earthw...-power/p/N82E16817371034?Item=N82E16817371034

CPU
Intel Core i5-2500K

This is a new card that we are trying to put in this older system for the reason in this post , https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...ter-build-recommendations-for-my-kid.3640786/

The Windows 10 is all updated (no optional driver updates etc.), and is on new Samsung Evo (used Samsung Migration). BIOS is most recent. Intel Drive and Support Assistant does not have any updates.

I even ran device manager as admn. and I only see Intel HD Graphics 3000 (on board). Nothing under view hidden devices.

The GPU fans run, but it is not detected. I even tried it both the slots.

I also tried Nvidia Geforce 84000GS in both the slots. Nothing is detected.

Both Geforce 1650 and 8400GS work in other desktop.

I even tried with a different psu, SeaSonic M12II 620 Bronze 620W. Still can’t get both GPS to detect.

I have cleared CMOS via jumpers and taking CMOS battery out.

I have only 1 ssd connected and nothing else so, 430 watts PSU should be enough or even 620 watts psu.
Only once 8400GS was seen under the device manager. But now nothing!

Maybe I am doing something wrong in the BIOS. Here are some of BIOS settings

BIOs UEFI Boot: Enabled
PCI Rom Priority: Legacy ROM
PCI Express No Snoop: Enabled
PCI Express ASTM Support: Auto

North Bridge
Initiate Graphic Adapter: PEG/PCI
Render Stand By: Disabled
PCI Express Port: Enabled
PEX16_1 – Gen X: Auto.

The disk is MBR. Do I need to convert it to gpt (It fails at mbr2gpt /convert /allowfullos…Disk Layout validation failed for disk 0)?

I have blown air into ports, everything, made sure the GPU cards are fully seated.

Need help

Thanks

Solution
Is it installed in the top-most x16 slot, the long slot closest to the CPU socket?

Did you connect the PCI/PEG 6 pin power connector to the graphics card from the PSU?

Have you tried removing and reinstalling the card?

Try going into the BIOS, with the iGPU connected, and change the graphics primary type to PCI/PEG rather than integrated or iGPU, then save settings and exit the BIOS, shut down. Install the graphics card (If it's not currently installed), connect the display cable to the graphics card and then power back up.

If that fails to work, shut down, connect the display cable to the graphics card and do a hard reset of the BIOS.

BIOS Hard Reset procedure

Power off the unit, switch the PSU off and...
Your motherboard, which is a Biostar and almost certainly has a limited reach when it comes to BIOS support for newer graphics card architectures, is most probably to blame.

First thing though, is to make sure you don't have the display cable connected to the motherboard video outputs. It MUST be connected to the video outputs on the graphics card.

Also, check to see if the monitors options, on the monitor, are available. On some monitors you MUST select the input source. Not all of them are auto detecting.

If not, try a different cable or as mentioned, try HDMI first. We see DP not working initially on a lot of systems for some reason.

Is it installed in the top-most x16 slot, the long slot closest to the CPU socket?

Did you connect the PCI/PEG 6 pin power connector to the graphics card from the PSU?

Have you tried removing and reinstalling the card?

Try going into the BIOS, with the iGPU connected, and change the graphics primary type to PCI/PEG rather than integrated or iGPU, then save settings and exit the BIOS, shut down. Install the graphics card (If it's not currently installed), connect the display cable to the graphics card and then power back up.

If that fails to work, shut down, connect the display cable to the graphics card and do a hard reset of the BIOS.

BIOS Hard Reset procedure

Power off the unit, switch the PSU off and unplug the PSU cord from either the wall or the power supply.

Remove the motherboard CMOS battery for five minutes. In some cases it may be necessary to remove the graphics card to access the CMOS battery.

During that five minutes, press the power button on the case, continuously, for 30 seconds. After the five minutes is up, reinstall the CMOS battery making sure to insert it with the correct side up just as it came out.

If you had to remove the graphics card you can now reinstall it, but remember to reconnect your power cables if there were any attached to it as well as your display cable.

Now, plug the power supply cable back in, switch the PSU back on and power up the system. It should display the POST screen and the options to enter CMOS/BIOS setup. Enter the bios setup program and reconfigure the boot settings for either the Windows boot manager or for legacy systems, the drive your OS is installed on if necessary.

Save settings and exit. If the system will POST and boot then you can move forward from there including going back into the bios and configuring any other custom settings you may need to configure such as Memory XMP, A-XMP or D.O.C.P profile settings, custom fan profile settings or other specific settings you may have previously had configured that were wiped out by resetting the CMOS.

In some cases it may be necessary when you go into the BIOS after a reset, to load the Optimal default or Default values and then save settings, to actually get the hardware tables to reset in the boot manager.

It is probably also worth mentioning that for anything that might require an attempt to DO a hard reset in the first place, IF the problem is related to a lack of video signal, it is a GOOD IDEA to try a different type of display as many systems will not work properly for some reason with displayport configurations. It is worth trying HDMI if you are having no display or lack of visual ability to enter the BIOS, or no signal messages.

Trying a different monitor as well, if possible, is also a good idea if there is a lack of display. It happens.

If that fails to work, then I would check to see if there is a newer BIOS version available for your motherboard than what is currently installed. If there is, then update. Then try again. If there is not, or if there is but it doesn't help, then the problem is likely the fact that the card architecture is simply not supported on your motherboard because it is too new and lacks support for it in the BIOS/CMOS.

Solution
So, MBR/GPT has literally NOTHING at all to do with this issue. In fact, it could NEVER have anything to do with an issue like this. It's irrelevant in relation to whether there is a display signal or not.

Since you are saying this is happening in the PRE-Windows environment, with NO display of any kind, no matter what you do, then either the board lacks support for the graphics card architecture, the motherboard PCIe slot is bad, there is a bent pin on the motherboard that pertains to the PCI bus or you have a bad graphics card.

The only way you're really going to know for sure, is to obtain another, different, known good graphics card that is KNOWN to be compatible with your motherboard and see if it works or not. Something simple and basic would be fine. Doesn't really matter what the card model is so long as it is older than the one you are trying to install now and is a PCIe 2.0 or 3.0 compatible card.

Chicago60

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
And does the GTX 1650 work in the lower PCIe slot too?

And just for the record, they are slots, not ports, just so you are aware.

It works in the lower PCIe slot. I also installed NVIDIA driver from NVIDIA website.

We are only updating this system temporarily (one PS4 at home due to covid and 2 siblings to play), so that my kid can play his games like Warzone, Valorant, CSGO, Rainbow Six Siege, Forza, Control, Crysis 3 and Cold War. I don't know which games are his future games.

He plays Warzone, Rainbow and Forza for sure. And he is going to build a new system, but wants to wait 2-3 months.

I have 16 GB of this Ram coming today Corsair CMY16GX3M2A1600C9 Vengeance Pro Series 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600 MHZ (PC3 12800)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D2LGRPG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Do you think 1650 in the lower slot will be sufficient for the intended purpose? I put a new Samsung EVO 860 before the card

PEX16_2: PCI-Express Gen2 x4 Slot can do 4 GB/s max total?

I had to remove the WiFi card from to make space from it. But LAN/Google mesh is giving 230 Mbps (better than wifi card).

Last edited:
Sure, it can work, but obviously it's going to work at a lower speed because it's limited to fewer lanes. Personally, any motherboard with a burned out PCIe lane is a motherboard I wouldn't trust and I would sure as heck not use my new graphics card in that motherboard. Maybe an old card, but not a brand new one that's worth something to me. I'd move on from that board in a hurry. Either upgrade the whole platform or replace the board with one that isn't borked up.