New, Faster SSDs From Crucial up to 256 GB

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Chipset? These don't look like standard indilinx or samsung specs!

Wayoffbase

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
[citation][nom]mlcloud[/nom]$3:1GB? We're getting there.[/citation]
yep, the 64 and 128GB prices are just about in reach for the not-quiet-early-but-earlyish adopters :p

Wayoffbase

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
[citation][nom]Belardo[/nom]if you want speed and performance... why RAID basic SSDs? Just get an SSD-PCIe card and you can reach data speeds of 1500.[/citation]
[citation][nom]hovaucf[/nom]You also cant boot off of a PCIe-SSD at this time and the cost is absurd...[/citation]
Which consumer pci-e ssds are actually on the market already? And you can't boot from the fusion-io drive but the others I have heard about work basically like a raid controller card with on board flash memory, so they are boot-able.

Hovaucf

Distinguished
May 6, 2008
I've read they're working on making them bootable but have not seen anywhere saying they're at this time, and plus I've read prices for these range between $1600-5000 US.

coopchennick

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2008
Haven't we learned by now that the sequential read/write speeds mean next to nothing?

After reading this article, I know nothing about these drives other than pricing.

Robert17

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2009
I'm about willing to take bets: when the gallium/arsenide CPUs hit the shelves along with the magnesium hydride nanocrystal SSDs, we'll see the current version of SSD being used for chucking at the neighbor's yowling cat at midnight. Or is it just me?

That's what I'm wondering. They just made their other models obsolete, so Crucial will have to charge a lot less for the older drives if they want to sell them. But why buy those when new models seem to be coming out every month?

I still don't see a compelling reason until they come down to something like the 1GB:$1 that was mentioned. I would buy 64GB for 64 bucks..IF it was significantly faster than my current drive.

G

I just hoped they would also create a budget version for the netbook/notebook market!
Being fast is great and all, but I'm still not willing to pay more than $100 for a drive.
And preferably for a drive > 32, or even 64GB
these specs are all very wonderful, but for the average joe that uses his laptop for connecting to the internet, watch some HD video, and play a game or two, power requirement matters more than lightning fast speeds.

If Crucial would create a 64-80GB SSD, with a good controller, and say 120/80MB R/W speeds, in a very energy efficient drive with plenty of IOPS, for the price of $120 I'd be on my toes to buy it immediately!

G

[citation][nom]hovaucf[/nom]You also cant boot off of a PCIe-SSD at this time and the cost is absurd...[/citation]
Asus EeePc does it!

G

[citation][nom]CoopCHennick[/nom]Haven't we learned by now that the sequential read/write speeds mean next to nothing?After reading this article, I know nothing about these drives other than pricing.[/citation]
They DO mean something, because most of the time, if you know it has a good controller, a +200MBs R/W MLC SSD can outperform a 60MBs R/W SLC SSD.
IOPS increase also with sequential R/W, and Crucial is known for making reasonably good drives.
The drive's sequencial speed together with the data that it's SATA3 compatible should tell you that it is 90% surely not equipped with a crappy controller neither!

snotling

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2002
[citation][nom]HundredIslandsBoy[/nom]Bigger SSDs but also bigger prices!! The real news here is that the high premium is still unreasonable for most folks.[/citation]
The point is, at this point they are not for most folks but for smart folks!

Status
Not open for further replies.