Question New Fiber .. old PC incompatible?

RichM88

Reputable
Oct 6, 2020
Hi.
Recently upgraded to fibre broadband.
I have 1 Desktop connected with Ethernet (no WiFi) , 2TV’s via power line, and various laptops via WiFi.

Since upgrade .. all work fine except the desktop via Ethernet cable (which I have changed to new fast cable). It grinds to a halt until I factory reset the router.

My ISP has said it’s because the PC is too old (it worked fine with the non fibre broadband).

Does this sound right .. I need a new PC ?
PC is over 10 years old (maybe 14).

I don’t need a new PC .. so don’t want to waste my money if there is something else possible ?

Cheers
Rich

My ISP has said it’s because the PC is too old (it worked fine with the non fibre broadband).
Probably not, the 1Gbps network ports have being around for pretty long by now. There is a chance you have a 100Gbps network card, but in normal situations this is not too impeding to a 1Gbps port.

Do you have the excact model number of that pc, or possible list of components ?

Also what OS do you have ?

kanewolf

Titan
Hi.
I have 1 Desktop connected with Ethernet (no WiFi) , 2TV’s via power line, and various laptops via WiFi.

Since upgrade .. all work fine except the desktop via Ethernet cable (which I have changed to new fast cable). It grinds to a halt until I factory reset the router.

I don’t need a new PC .. so don’t want to waste my money if there is something else possible ?

Cheers
Rich
No, you don't need a new PC. Your ISP is trying to pass the buck. Your PC doesn't know the difference.
Can you better describe "grinds to a halt"?
Can you open a cmd.exe window and run ipconfig.exe /all and post the results.

Reactions: Grobe and punkncat

Richj444

Commendable
May 25, 2022
Hi.

Cheers
Rich
I would like to hear more about this new fast cable. All you need is a good quality Cat 5 or 6 cable, and many cables that are supposedly faster than those, are actually cheap quality ripoffs and will cause problems.

RichM88

Reputable
Oct 6, 2020
No, you don't need a new PC. Your ISP is trying to pass the buck. Your PC doesn't know the difference.
Can you better describe "grinds to a halt"?
Can you open a cmd.exe window and run ipconfig.exe /all and post the results.
Thanks.. I’m away now next few days .do not by my pc . but will post back when I return

RichM88

Reputable
Oct 6, 2020
When I say grinds to a halt .. can take upto 5mins to perform a google search, or load a website .. many of which time out 1st. Everything else on the pc is fine.
Factory reset router and internet is fast again for a while .. but slows with use .. or if I turn off .. on restart is slow again.
Everything else on the network is fast.