New Gaming Build

Shrevus

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2012
Hi All,

Back in 2009 I built a state of the art gaming rig - 6gb RAM, first gen I7 920! It was biblical. Fast forward to now and it struggles with basic games and multiple Chrome tabs.

I have a budget of £1,500 and I am looking for a full gaming rig with mouse, keyboard and at least 24" monitors. No issues with buying parts and building. Equally content with bundles from Overclockers etc.

Would like something that lasts another 8 years. If budget needs to stretch to £2,000 so be it but value for money and longevity must be verifiable.

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance all, happy gaming.

Paul

Solution
Well if you want it to last as long as possible, get something like the ryzen r7 1700, i7 7700k, or i7 something with 6 or 8 cores for the CPU.
For the GPU, get a 1080ti.
I'm using 8 GB RAM right now with about 25 chrome tabs open and nothing else, so go for 16 GB RAM and upgrade it later on if you need to.
Get a motherboard that allows you to overclock.
Get an aftermarket cooler and overclock your CPU.

Get at least 500GB of SSD. You could get a traditional one like the Samsung 850 evo or you could go for the m.2 nvme ones, which are a little faster in random reads and writes and insanely faster in sequential reads and writes (which don't happen nearly as often). Both will be WAAY faster than your HDD, which you could still use as...

jtabb1256

Honorable
Jan 4, 2014
Well if you want it to last as long as possible, get something like the ryzen r7 1700, i7 7700k, or i7 something with 6 or 8 cores for the CPU.
For the GPU, get a 1080ti.
I'm using 8 GB RAM right now with about 25 chrome tabs open and nothing else, so go for 16 GB RAM and upgrade it later on if you need to.
Get a motherboard that allows you to overclock.
Get an aftermarket cooler and overclock your CPU.

Get at least 500GB of SSD. You could get a traditional one like the Samsung 850 evo or you could go for the m.2 nvme ones, which are a little faster in random reads and writes and insanely faster in sequential reads and writes (which don't happen nearly as often). Both will be WAAY faster than your HDD, which you could still use as extra storage.

If you want to build it, I could come up with a list, but I thought the above would also help you if you're looking for prebuilts.

Solution