[SOLVED] New gaming/communication desktop

Patman1209

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2010
Hey All,

Approximate Purchase Date: ASAP

Budget Range: 2K before rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, Video Editing, Streaming, Video Skype, Scientific Computing

Are you buying a monitor: No.

Need to buy Windows

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg or amazon

Parts Preferences: None per se, looking to go AMD.

Overclocking: No, too chicken, don't want to mess with water cooling.

SLI or Crossfire: Wut?

Your Monitor Resolution: 1080 x 2 monitors

Additional Comments: First time buying a gaming rig. Won a copy of CyberPunk2077 on PC and I'm going to need something to keep me happy and warm during these dark times.

Already own streaming equipment, but no camera, have GoPro, looking for appropriate "arm" for streaming from GoPro.

I've probably (intentionally) overtorqued on the gfx card, baseline was based upon logical increments... but with more RAM, stepping from 2070s to 2080s, and a backup hard disk on this one.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/2s776R

So that's what i'm looking at. I may modify a choice or two to make it entirely an amazon order. Let me know how this looks please. Anything too screwy.

edit: oh, shoot, I forgot a case.

Solution
Get x570 if you can afford it. Its more guaranteed to have support for Ryzen 4000 and you can get faster ssd speeds with pcie4 nvme m.2 ssd. Also like Garrett said, you can use 2x pcie4 m.2 nvme ssd and that without loosing sata ports.

Also most x570 have better VRMs if you plan to use 3900 or 3950X or OC. Ryzen 4000 might be more power hungry and will benefit from better VRM.

If you don't need those then get the b450 tomhawk max.
You don't need 2 GPUs nowdays so you can cross that off.

Make sure your RAM is compatible with your motherboard by looking at your motherboard's manufacturer website.

I would change that PSU to a 650W Seasonic Focus or a Corsair TX/RM 650W.
The 2080S is power hungry. Also price increase from 550 to 650W is negligible.

Last edited:
Reactions: GarrettL
You have two Micro Center's in Maryland. They have THE best deals on cpu's and get another $20 off on a motherboard and cpu bundle.

SLI is dead, I'd suggest if you get to Micro Center to check out the 1440p displays, specifically the IPS monitors. Why have all that pc power and not see how good it actually looks!

Otherwise, you'll be quite happy with that build overall.

Patman1209

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2010
You have two Micro Center's in Maryland. They have THE best deals on cpu's and get another $20 off on a motherboard and cpu bundle.

SLI is dead, I'd suggest if you get to Micro Center to check out the 1440p displays, specifically the IPS monitors. Why have all that pc power and not see how good it actually looks!

Otherwise, you'll be quite happy with that build overall.

Funny you should say that, I did do a spec build on the microcenter website.

https://www.microcenter.com/site/co...spx?load=0593d834-8980-406a-80af-b59632ccf38b

Patman1209

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2010
If there is a need for the features then fair enough. If not then a board half the price can give equal performance.

ok, so then what do I gain or lose by going in this direction. Obviously the loss looks like $. As I said above I baselined on the basis of logicalincrements so I figure they have their reasoning. I'm willing to listen.

We don't know.

At this time gpu's don't see a benefit with PCIe 4.0.

AMD is talking about infinity fabric and their future gpu's may see a benefit from this approach.

With the x570 borads you wont lose SATA ports when using 2 NVME drives.

The 450 boards work with 3000 series cpu's. AMD has yet to confirm if the 4000 series cpu's will work on 450's, they should but it's not confirmed. The 550's are not available at this time.

I had the budget to look at the x570's and with the future an unknown I decided to get the latest hardware available. Zero complaints with my Ryzen build, it is the fastest pc I've ever used. Not had one single issue. Gaming is buttery smooth.

Reactions: Zizo007
Get x570 if you can afford it. Its more guaranteed to have support for Ryzen 4000 and you can get faster ssd speeds with pcie4 nvme m.2 ssd. Also like Garrett said, you can use 2x pcie4 m.2 nvme ssd and that without loosing sata ports.

Also most x570 have better VRMs if you plan to use 3900 or 3950X or OC. Ryzen 4000 might be more power hungry and will benefit from better VRM.

If you don't need those then get the b450 tomhawk max.

Reactions: GarrettL
Solution