Question New Gaming Desk

Jun 10, 2024
Hi everyone! I'm working on developing a new line of gaming desks and would love to get some input. What features do you think are essential in a gaming desk? What do you like or dislike about your current setup? And what would your perfect gaming setup have? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Assuming this is a serious post, then the most important one for me is use an industrial design that isn't a Transformer had a baby with a stealth fighter. Or as an example, look at what design ASUS and MSI use for their gaming oriented lineup, and promptly toss it out the window.

But if you want something to look at, https://secretlab.co/pages/magnus-pro is probably the closest to my perfect desk. I would've bought it, but it didn't come in the size that would fit in my space.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I use an old wooden dining room table I got at a second hand store. I think it was $50.

My only suggestion would be some sort of modular block system that allows you to mount things like monitor, microphone, camera, and speaker stands and such without having to damage the desk with hard mounts. Basically give them something replaceable that they can drill holes into if needed.

Reactions: Gamingdeskguy65
Jun 10, 2024
I use an old wooden dining room table I got at a second hand store. I think it was $50.

My only suggestion would be some sort of modular block system that allows you to mount things like monitor, microphone, camera, and speaker stands and such without having to damage the desk with hard mounts. Basically give them something replaceable that they can drill holes into if needed.
Thank you very much. What about cable management, do you have any desires for that? And also, is a sit/stand desk something you would want?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I don't have any particular desires. I use a table.

People do cable management that care. Again if you made that modular somehow I'm sure it would be appreciated to accommodate different setups. Keep in mind some people keep their computer on the left, some on the right, some underneath, etc.

USAFRet

Titan
Hi everyone! I'm working on developing a new line of gaming desks and would love to get some input. What features do you think are essential in a gaming desk? What do you like or dislike about your current setup? And what would your perfect gaming setup have? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
Other than the word "gaming", and a higher price tag, what do you think denotes a "gaming desk"?

My current desk is something inherited from my dad, sometime last century.
Soon to be replaced by a desk from my old company, only slightly newer.

Ralston18

Titan
My desk is a simple 2 1/2 ' x 4' top with a shelf underneath. No back. No drawers other than a simple 8" wide, plastic Amazon product that I hung under the front edge.

Got permission to take and save the desk from the trash heap after a company worker tore the desk apart trying to move the desk. Fully loaded with PC, monitor, books, etc...

Added some metal "L" brackets underneath to help hold it all together. Very solid now. Almost 25 years of my use since then. The top does need some sanding and sealing though. Summer/outdoor project.

Working on some reinforcement so an additional VESA monitor can be attached/clamped to the back edge.

People like multiple monitors so develop a design that allows easy, secure, and safe mounting for at least 2 (and 3 if at all possible) fully articulated VESA monitors. No need for drilling holes, buying proprietary accessories etc. with regards to the desk.

Also, I agree with @USAFRet - what is meant by "gaming"? What specific advantages could a gaming desk provide? (However, I will note that a "gaming" desk needs, if anything, to be really tough - some gamers get quite angry when they lose...)

And, please, do not slip in some claim/feature that the desk will support AI. :)

Jun 10, 2024
Other than the word "gaming", and a higher price tag, what do you think denotes a "gaming desk"?

My current desk is something inherited from my dad, sometime last century.
Soon to be replaced by a desk from my old company, only slightly newer.

Our gaming desk will allow for complete customization. It will allow you to place monitors wherever you want, and allow you to add on any attachments, such as a headphone holder, by bolting it in directly. I can't reveal exactly how this system will work yet.

Jun 10, 2024
My desk is a simple 2 1/2 ' x 4' top with a shelf underneath. No back. No drawers other than a simple 8" wide, plastic Amazon product that I hung under the front edge.

Got permission to take and save the desk from the trash heap after a company worker tore the desk apart trying to move the desk. Fully loaded with PC, monitor, books, etc...

Added some metal "L" brackets underneath to help hold it all together. Very solid now. Almost 25 years of my use since then. The top does need some sanding and sealing though. Summer/outdoor project.

Working on some reinforcement so an additional VESA monitor can be attached/clamped to the back edge.

People like multiple monitors so develop a design that allows easy, secure, and safe mounting for at least 2 (and 3 if at all possible) fully articulated VESA monitors. No need for drilling holes, buying proprietary accessories etc. with regards to the desk.

Also, I agree with @USAFRet - what is meant by "gaming"? What specific advantages could a gaming desk provide? (However, I will note that a "gaming" desk needs, if anything, to be really tough - some gamers get quite angry when they lose...)

And, please, do not slip in some claim/feature that the desk will support AI. :)
Thank you for your response. Our gaming desk will be very sturdy, and allow for complete customization, including monitor mounting customization. You will be able to bolt in any attachment you want to our desk.

Jun 10, 2024
Assuming this is a serious post, then the most important one for me is use an industrial design that isn't a Transformer had a baby with a stealth fighter. Or as an example, look at what design ASUS and MSI use for their gaming oriented lineup, and promptly toss it out the window.

But if you want something to look at, https://secretlab.co/pages/magnus-pro is probably the closest to my perfect desk. I would've bought it, but it didn't come in the size that would fit in my space.
Thank you for your response, currently looking into your suggestions.

USAFRet

Titan
Our gaming desk will allow for complete customization. It will allow you to place monitors wherever you want, and allow you to add on any attachments, such as a headphone holder, by bolting it in directly. I can't reveal exactly how this system will work yet.
Still not seeing anything "gaming".

My 40 year old desk is 65" wide, I can put monitors wherever I choose.
Has a small rotatable/removable shelf.
Holes for feeding cables up from below.
Underneath keyboard shelf.
3x drawers of different heights.

Jun 10, 2024
Still not seeing anything "gaming".

My 40 year old desk is 65" wide, I can put monitors wherever I choose.
Has a small rotatable/removable shelf.
Holes for feeding cables up from below.
Underneath keyboard shelf.
3x drawers of different heights.
You are right, the term "gaming" is used as a marketing ploy by many companies, when they are just selling normal desks, and I understand the criticism. However, we are striving to create a desk that is a real gaming desk. It will also have the option, which currently does not exist, for a wheel base and wheel pedal mounts for racing. It will have complete customizability.

If there is one thing that could be added with any desk gaming or not is a pullout mini desk that would let you while gaming on large monitors back up and get to a perfect viewing level. I cheat and have a mahogany TV tray I sub in if I play off the 55 inch 4k TV.

Yeah I tried those after market under desk pullout drawers but end up leaving you sore.

I have the same as USAFRet huge big and heavy desk.

I have two sets of mouse and keyboards for when I use the TV tray. TV tray sits to the side when at my desk and and always ready if I game.