Build Advice New gaming PC build.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Aug 30, 2024
My next question relates to memory storage.

A lot of places seem to be pushing you towards getting 2 storage options.
1 for storing the operating system and general files on and the 2nd for storing games on etc.

Is there a noticable, measurable difference in performance by doing this, or is this just purely for OCD purposes?

Aug 30, 2024
My next question is

When it comes to the CPU + GPU combination, I have read in various places one of the biggest mistakes people make is not prioritising the GPU.

I am looking at the following
CPU 78003XD
GPU 7900 GRE

Everything I have read suggests the 78003XD is probably the best CPU for gaming however I am wondering if I would be better looking at something lower and using the savings towards a different graphics card, maybe a 4070 ti super?

Aug 30, 2024
Okay. Thank you very much.

I am looking at the following two motherboards for my rig.

Gigabyte B650M Aorus Elite AX Ice
Gigabyte X670E Aorus Pro X

Its quite unclear looking at the spec what are the real differences apart from maybe a few ports. Would I be correct in saying the B650M one is a smaller board? Does this has any impact on performance?

Yes. M signifies the smaller micro ATX. Will fit in any standard case.

Most boards are "full ATX" and won't fit in some cases.

I'm not sure what the E means in "X670E". It may or may not fit in a standard case.

Micro ATX boards have fewer slots, which wouldn't matter to most users. I have used Micro for a decade.

I count at least 5 "Ice" AMD motherboards at Gigabyte site.

X670E is not Ice, so I guess you have given up on white?

Here are 4 Ice boards in a comparison table. None are micro ATX. Not sure what the "E" means. The 870 boards are the most expensive and may have features you don't need?

https://www.gigabyte.com/Comparison/Consumer/Result/2?pids=9730,9721,9678,9456

Here is the fifth one. B650M Aorus Elite AX Ice. The only micro ATX

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B650M-AORUS-ELITE-AX-ICE#kf

OK; my error. I didn't catch them all in my search

So there are at least 6 AMD boards in the ICE series at Gigabyte.

Performance is driven mostly your CPU choice and by the chipset and its features: X670, B650, X870 etc.

Reliability is another matter.

I have no idea which might give you headaches, but there is luck involved. Pick the features you need and hope. Maybe look around for reviews of specific boards. Comments from buyers on Amazon could easily lead you far astray.