vae victus

Honorable
Feb 1, 2013
Hey guys! This is my current rig

OS - Win 8.1 64 Bit
CPU - Intel Core i5 3570k @3.4GHz aftermarket Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO
Ram - 16 GB Crucial DDR3
MB - ASRock Z77 Extreme4
GPU - GTX 560 Ti 1 GB VRam MSI TwinFrorz (only part used)
SDD - 240 GB Samsung 840 Series
HD - 2 TB Seagate Barracuda
PSU - Corsair 600M
Monitor - HP 27xi IPS monitor 1080p

Currently i think my main bottleneck is the GPU. I bought it used for a 100 bucks and it was great initially but as time goes on it's not quite up to snuff anymore so i'm now looking to upgrade it. Currently i'm looking at this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125685 it's a Gigabyte GTX 970 card with a nice promo going on. After the promo and rebate it'll go down to 301 bucks. However i'm considering getting the Gaming1 version since it seems to be more robustly made but costs more.

My question to you guys is this. Is the card a good one or should i consider something else? I dont mind spending an extra 20 bucks or so if it gets me a superior card. I originally thought of getting MSI but this is cheaper. Also I gotta make a decision quick since the promo ends tomorrow. Getting Witcher 3 would be an interesting test to see how my rig performs with the new card.

My next main question is, if i wanted to dabble into 4k gaming, is it possible with my current rig? I figure i'll need to buy another 970 for SLI (does it need to be the same exact Gigabyte model?) and a new PSU (750?). I'll prolly try to overclock the CPU as well. I've been very gentle with my system so far, so i wouldn't mind abusing the crap out of it in the future to eke out every iota of performance for 4k gaming until my next build.

And finally i've been reading the uproar about the VRam being only 3.5 gb instead of 4. On 1080p gaming i guess it wont matter but in the future if i 4k, having 2 970s makes it moot right? Does the VRam just straight add up 3.5+3.5gb making it more than enough or is there some other black magic shenanigans i need to be cognizant of?

Well thats it for now. Thanks for reading and i hope my chosen path isn't entirely too foolish.

Solution
SLI and CF duplicates the VRAM so, no, SLI 970s will still act like a fast single 970 with 3.5GB of VRAM. If you want a quick 4K system you are going to have to put out some bucks. The Titan X seems to be the first single GPU board to do the job but it is 1K bucks. Just get a 970 for now and go 4K later when the boards that can drive them are affordable.
SLI and CF duplicates the VRAM so, no, SLI 970s will still act like a fast single 970 with 3.5GB of VRAM. If you want a quick 4K system you are going to have to put out some bucks. The Titan X seems to be the first single GPU board to do the job but it is 1K bucks. Just get a 970 for now and go 4K later when the boards that can drive them are affordable.

Solution

rdc85

Honorable
If u not in hurry, just wait AMD announcement for 300 series card..
it may shake the pricing,.. if not 970 is good card even it somewhat "gimped"

for 4k gaming I don't think today generation cards is capable enough to play fluidly..
it still new and expensive.. IMO. (may change in one/two generation card though)

SLI or not, those 970 memory arrangement is not helping... :(

vae victus

Honorable
Feb 1, 2013
Looks like SLI and 4k gaming is a no go. Unfortunate but not a big deal.

I've been putting off buying a new GPU for so long i guess i'm feeling antsy of just getting one now and playing games on high or ultra again. I figure the new card will last me 2-3 years just in time for me to make a dedicated 4k gaming rig when the tech becomes more refined.

So is that card a good one or is there another that you folks would recommend?

Edit: When's the AMD annoucement? I'm a bit of a nvidia loyalist as all my friends use nvidia and they tell me its alot simpler to use than AMD cards.

vae victus

Honorable
Feb 1, 2013
I dunno if i'd want to wait again. I've already OC'ed my poor old GPU as far as she'll go, i think kinda want to put her out of it's misery. Naw tahts a lie i'm just gonna shove it my 1st gaming rig, replacing a GTX 260 ;)

I guess i shouldnt pussyfoot around anymore and take the plunge, i guess i'm just asking hoping for answers to bolster my courage.

hamzahfelix

Distinguished
The difference between the gigabyte g1 gaming and the non-g1 is just their overclockability. The premium you pay for the g1 gaming is that it is a better binned gpu, meaning overclocking it to a higher clocked speed is guaranteed. You can still overclock with the non g-1 though, so its your call whether the extra cost is worth it.

Everything about AMD's upcoming Pirate Islands GPU at this stage is purely speculation, apart from its release dates. We all know GPU is not just about specs, it is about performance on games. Look at r9 290 vs the gtx 970.