Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 1, 2022
Recently purchased a 3060 ti to replace a 3060 in my system, and ran into an issue of my monitor being completely frozen after a couple minutes of running. Fans/lights from the pc still on and working, but keyboard/mouse unresponsive. Couldn’t find a fix so I slapped in a gtx 970 and everything worked perfectly. So I sent back the 3060 ti thinking that maybe it was a bad card, and found a good deal on a 3070…. Same issue. Tried running the PC off my Intel iGPU, everything ran flawlessly. I think it’s gotta be a power supply issue at this point, but I’m hoping someone else might have confirmation/a different opinion. Thanks!

Some fixes I’ve tried:
  • Fresh install of Windows 11
  • Disable Fast Boot
  • Reinstall Drivers
  • Use Different cables/ports

Specs
i5 12600k
Ek 240mm aio
ROG b660-i
Asus Tuf 3060 ti/3070
16gb ddr5
2 500gb nvme ssd
EVGA 650w PSU

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

EVGA is the brand of the PSU, while 650W is the advertised wattage of the unit, might want to include the model of the unit. Also, how old is the PSU? BIOS version for your motherboard at the time of writing?

Ralston18

Titan
How old is that EVGA PSU? History of heavy use for gaming, video editing, or even bit-mining?

Take a look in Reliability History and Event Viewer. Either one or both tools may be capturing some error codes, warnings, or even informational events that correspond to the monitor/system freezes.

Start with Reliability History. Much more user friendly and the timeline format will likely reveal a pattern with respect to when the GPU was switched from 3060 to 3060ti to 970 to Intel iGPU etc..

Take a close look at the details for the errors, if any, associated with freezes when the 3060ti was installed. Compare errors, if and as necessary to the other GPUs that were tested. Any errors or error patterns unique to the 3060ti?

Aug 1, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

EVGA is the brand of the PSU, while 650W is the advertised wattage of the unit, might want to include the model of the unit. Also, how old is the PSU? BIOS version for your motherboard at the time of writing?
Power supply is an evga 650 G5 Supernova, it’s about a year and a half old. I’m running bios version 1013 x64.

Aug 1, 2022
UPDATE: I used 2 separate gpu power cables to the graphics card, instead of using one with the split on the end. It’s the most improvement I’ve seen so far. I was able to use my computer for about 15 minutes before it froze. This time, I noticed a bit of lagging here and there before it shut down, and an audible click when it finally did.

You can take a look at the Reliability History and Event Viewer, but most likely you are going to need a new, more powerfull PSU. For runing a RTX 3060TI or 3070, I would not get anything smaller than 750watts (from a very well known brand, Corsair, Seasonic, EVGA, etc.)

And always, always use independent power cables, forget about splitters, those days are gone with this new GPUs.

I do nto know your specific GPU, but take a look at here: https://www.asus.com/latin/Motherbo...s/TUF-Gaming/TUF-RTX3070-O8G-GAMING/techspec/

It saids pretty clear, recommended PSU: 750 watts. I would almost take that as a minimum if you wana upgrade to anything powerfull in the furture.

A little outdated but still a good source:

Aug 1, 2022
You can take a look at the Reliability History and Event Viewer, but most likely you are going to need a new, more powerfull PSU. For runing a RTX 3060TI or 3070, I would not get anything smaller than 750watts (from a very well known brand, Corsair, Seasonic, EVGA, etc.)

And always, always use independent power cables, forget about splitters, those days are gone with this new GPUs.

I do nto know your specific GPU, but take a look at here: https://www.asus.com/latin/Motherbo...s/TUF-Gaming/TUF-RTX3070-O8G-GAMING/techspec/

It saids pretty clear, recommended PSU: 750 watts. I would almost take that as a minimum if you wana upgrade to anything powerfull in the furture.

A little outdated but still a good source:

Thanks for the info, I assumed it had to be a power issue. I have an evga 850w coming tomorrow so I’ll found it for sure then. Again thanks for the help.

Reactions: RodroX

Lutfij

Titan
I’m running bios version 1013 x64.
You have BIOS versions pending update...apart from your PSU being the issue in your build.

Status
Not open for further replies.