Question New gpu is not being detected by my system and my computer wont boot

Jun 6, 2024
I recently installed a new gpu but my system can't detect the card even though the fans on it are spinning so it should have power but when i start the computer my monitor says "no signal". I am currently using the inbuilt gpu and after selecting it in BIOS i started the pc. when i looked in device manager and AMD drivers neither was able to detect the gpu.

GPU: xfx speedster swft 210 amd radeon rx 6650 xt 8gb gddr6

Computer: Y520T - 25ICZ

- CPU: I5 - 8400 @2.80GHz

- Motherboard: Lenovo 36EF , version SDK0J40700 WIN 3258011277375

I would really appreciate if anyone would post ideas of how i might get it working.

I tried uninstalling my old Nvidia drivers via DDU.

I tried buying a new 700w PSU which is more than sufficient to power the GPU.

I tried updating the BIOS to the newest version. Lenovo O3UKT27A, 16-09-2019

I tried installing AMD drivers for the gpu but that didn't get me far since it couldn't detect any AMD hardware.

Thank you in advance

Make sure the monitor cable is attached to the video card and not the motherboard.
If bios default is to disable integrated when a video card is installed, bios checks and the video card has no display attached so it defaults to second video device which has a monitor attached and does not initialize the video card.

Reactions: Dark Lord of Tech
Jun 6, 2024
In Device Manager > View check to see if "Show hidden devices" is checked.

Manually download the new GPU's drivers directly from the manufacturer's website. Reinstall and reconfigure.

No third party tools or installers.
Thank you for a fast reply.

Nice tip about the hidden devices but unfortunately didn't reveal anything :(

I downloaded the AMD software from AMD's website but when i launch it i get an "Error 173: AMD software installer cannot proceed as no AMD graphics hardware has been detected in your system".

I just think it's weird that the card has power but cannot be found by my computer.
Could i somehow be doing the install incorrectly? I went to AMD's websites chose my specific gpu and downloaded the driver for windows 11

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2024
Make sure the monitor cable is attached to the video card and not the motherboard.
If bios default is to disable integrated when a video card is installed, bios checks and the video card has no display attached so it defaults to second video device which has a monitor attached and does not initialize the video card.
I double checked the cables and bios setting but both are as they are suppose to be

Jun 6, 2024
How are you checking bios settings.
With monitor cable attached to motherboard?
Or is the monitor cable attached to the video card?
What monitor do you have and what connections does it have?
I have two monitors one that has HDMI and one that has DP so i have the HMDI monitor plugged into my motherboard and the DP monitor into the new GPU.

Jun 6, 2024
this is the gpu https://www.xfxforce.com/shop/xfx-speedster-swft210-amd-radeon-tm-rx-6650-xt-core

start with the ddu and clean all the drivers either of the old card or integrated graphics in safe mode and for a new card installation, then you will tell us what happened
I already did the ddu clean of my old nvidia gpu but haven't done it with my integrated intel gpu since that was never in the way of the old card so i prefer not to delete those drivers. you think that would help?

Jun 6, 2024
following the step-by-step guide in this link i only get to step 3) that is when i run into the 173 error. Meaning the install is terminated and i can't access proceed further than that. I will try installing the graphic card in my friends computer to see if the card itself is faulty. Wont be until tomorrow tho.

Jun 2, 2024
normally you have to uninstall all the drivers, if you don't want to then you have to disable them from the bios, I hope you make it in "safe mode" as I mentioned before, also tell me which power supply the computer has

Jun 7, 2024
Ensure that the monitor cable is connected to the video card rather than the motherboard. If the BIOS is set to disable integrated graphics when a video card is installed, it will check for a display connected to the video card. If no display is found, it will default to the second video device with a monitor attached and will not initialize the video card.

Jun 6, 2024
normally you have to uninstall all the drivers, if you don't want to then you have to disable them from the bios, I hope you make it in "safe mode" as I mentioned before, also tell me which power supply the computer has
The uninstall was made in safe mode when i did it and in bios i have also checked that it isn't set to [IGD] so i should be trying to use the GPU installed in the PCIE slot

Jun 6, 2024
Ensure that the monitor cable is connected to the video card rather than the motherboard. If the BIOS is set to disable integrated graphics when a video card is installed, it will check for a display connected to the video card. If no display is found, it will default to the second video device with a monitor attached and will not initialize the video card.
I am afraid the cables are connected correctly and i have ensure that the bios setting isn't set to [IGD]

Jun 6, 2024
Today I tested the card in another pc and it works just fine. Device manager and AMD software both detect the card immediately so i am think the itself card isn't the problem.

New gen graphics cards need a uefi bios to be detected.

You can tell if you have a legacy bios by the initial appearance.
It will be monochrome and text oriented.
A uefi bios will look like a web page, formatted and in color.
There

Jun 6, 2024
New gen graphics cards need a uefi bios to be detected.

You can tell if you have a legacy bios by the initial appearance.
It will be monochrome and text oriented.
A uefi bios will look like a web page, formatted and in color.
There
I checked and my system is running UEFI BIOS, i actually think all Windows 11 do that but not sure :)