Question New GPU RTX 4070 Super not reaching expected fps, usage around 60% in-game.

Aug 15, 2024
Hello, I just upgraded my GPU and power supply, and I cant reach the FPS that I originally expected with this upgrade. I hope someone can help me with this problem.

I did some research online and came to the conclusion that there is some kind of "bottleneck" that is slowing my new hardware down. Thats why I downloaded MSI Afterburner to check how my system is doing ingame. The problem is that I cant figure out what the reasons behind my "bad fps" are, since neither my GPU nor my CPU is fully utilized.

The game is installed on my SSD.

Here is a screenshot of the data from MSI Afterburner ingame: View: https://imgur.com/a/hunt-showdown-F9eyxt8

My System:
Power Supply: be quiet! Pure Power 12M 750W
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8x 3,6Ghz
RAM: GSkill 32Gb DDR4 3000Mhz Dual Chanel RAM
GPU: GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 SUPER WINDFORCE OC 12G (old RTX 2080 Super 8GB)
Mainboard: Gigabyte X570 UD
SSD: Crucial MX500 500Gb SSD
HDD: Toshiba 1Tb HDD

Im not really knowledegable about PC's, so if theres any info thats missing please text me. Thanks in advance

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

I just upgraded my GPU and power supply,
What dd you upgrade from? BIOS version for your motherboard?

Did you use DDU to remove all GPU drivers(intel, AMD and Nvidia) in Safe Mode, then manually reinstalled the latest driver from Nvidia's support site in an elevated command?

Aug 15, 2024
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

I just upgraded my GPU and power supply,
What dd you upgrade from? BIOS version for your motherboard?

Did you use DDU to remove all GPU drivers(intel, AMD and Nvidia) in Safe Mode, then manually reinstalled the latest driver from Nvidia's support site in an elevated command?
Thanks for the fast reply.
My previous GPU was a RTX 2080 Super, I just did a clean install with DDU, but it didnt really affect the performance.
Isnt it weird that my GPU doesnt really go over 60% usage? If I make the graphic settings more demanding in-game the gpu usage goes up to like 90% and my fps are kind of the same, probably a little lower.
So why arent my fps going up when I use my default graphic settings?
I feel like theres something holding my gpu back in some kind of way.
what sort of performance are you getting,
in what games,
and with what settings..?

you have a pretty low tier CPU and a lower-mid range GPU.
what were you expecting that this system is not holding up to?
The games Hunt Showdown, which had a big update today and introduced dlss. The perfomance is overall better than with my last gpu (RTX 2080 Super), but not that much, maybe 30 fps more. I just dont understand why my gpu isnt getting fully utilized to like 90+%, which in my mind would translate to more fps than with 60ish% usage.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Thanks for the fast reply.
My previous GPU was a RTX 2080 Super, I just did a clean install with DDU, but it didnt really affect the performance.
Isnt it weird that my GPU doesnt really go over 60% usage? If I make the graphic settings more demanding in-game the gpu usage goes up to like 90% and my fps are kind of the same, probably a little lower.
So why arent my fps going up when I use my default graphic settings?
I feel like theres something holding my gpu back in some kind of way.

The games Hunt Showdown, which had a big update today and introduced dlss. The perfomance is overall better than with my last gpu (RTX 2080 Super), but not that much, maybe 30 fps more. I just dont understand why my gpu isnt getting fully utilized to like 90+%, which in my mind would translate to more fps than with 60ish% usage.
Looks like a misunderstanding with some of the terms.
https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...fter-upgrading-gpu-only.3754452/post-22640537