Question New GPU w/ Coil Whine

May 21, 2020
Today I got a brand new MSI Ventus XS 1660 Ti, set it all up, load up a game and noticed a weird buzzing coming from the PC that I have never heard before, so I try a different game, and there is it again. After swapping to a less demanding game, there was no noise, so I thought maybe im just imagining things, but did some research and found ou about coil whine

So I tested it and noticed that the higher my FPS went in more demanding games (Fallout 76/Crucible/CoD:MW) the louder this noise got, it also seems to get louder/change pitch depending on what surfaces I looked at in those games.

Edit: forgot to mention that in the games stated above, I tried with V-sync on aswell, so FPS locked to 60 - and the noise was still there

no more than 2 weeks ago I got a new PSU, and that has run fine in my PC for said amount of weeks with a EVGA 1060 3GB card and had no noise atall

so after more research people suggested on the internet that it could be power draw difference, however both cards spec sheets said 120W

So after all this im at a loss, but I can hear it and as someone with serious anxiety when it comes to noises its putting me on edge, I know from research its not dangerous and wont damage the card but, is there anything I can do to confirm it is the new GPU or maybe it is the PSU?

Last edited:
May 21, 2020
Roll a sheet of paper into a tube, stick your ear to it and see where the coil whine appears to be loudest by getting the other end of the tube as close as possible to the suspected source.

I tried this and in all honesty, The sound didnt get any louder when moving it around the PC, I also tried a toilet roll tube as people suggested that, and it just didnt sound any louder/quieter as I moved it around, I have tried to record the noise, but have had no luck atall getting my headset or phone mic to pick it up