Question New Graphics Card isn't working in my desktop?

Aug 29, 2021
Hello my old graphics card was fine but the fan was getting very noisy. After looking at all my options I decided to replace it and asked some advice on a subreddit about which card to get for my system. I went for the Gigabyte Nvidia GEForce GT 1030.

However when I installed it it just sits at the blue HP start up screen, there are also beeps from the GPU on start up. It says press Esc for start up menu but that doesn't work.

The relevent information is this:

PC Model: HP Pavilion Elite HPE-590uk (Bought in 2011)
My CPU is Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz.
RAM: 8GB
Bios Mode: Legacy
Bios Version: AMI 7.08 (16/02/2011)
SMBIOS Version: 2.6
Baseboard Manufacturer: Pentagron Corporation
BaseBoard Product: 2AB6

The graphics card that has been in the PC is an Nvidia GeForce GT 420 graphics card. This works fine but the fan was getting noisy, the termal paste was all dry and flaky and I couldn't find a low enough profile fan with a heatsink to replace the one on the gpu that was busted.

This is the new card I bought: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gigabyte-GeForce-1030-Low-Profile/dp/B0719CR59P

SeriesGV-N1030D5-2GL
BrandGigabyte
Graphics co-processorNVIDIA GeForce GT 1030
Video output interfaceHdmi
Graphics Chipset BrandNVIDIA
Graphics RAM typeGDDR5
Graphics RAM size2 GB
Memory clock speed6008 MHz
GPU clock speed1227 MHz
Graphics card interfacePCI-E

It fits in the slot but as I said when I boot the pc up after installing it I get the beeping and the HP start up screen and can't get beyond that. I put the old card back in and it works fine just noisy. I then uninstalled the old nvidia drivers to see if that would help but the new card still isn't working.

The PC is old but it works great for what I need it for, I don't do any gaming at all just general office use and a bit of photo editing.

Looking for previous solutions online some people are saying it could be a problem with the motherboard being Legacy BIOS and that the card can only run on UEFI but other people say that this shouldn't matter that this graphics card should run on both.

I found a BIOS update for my motherboard (https://drivers.eu/PC/HP/Pavilion Elite HPE-590uk/BIOS) but it is still not upgrading the bios to UEFI.

Another solutions suggested installing VBIOS? I am not sure if that is onto the graphics card or the PC, would that work?

I spent almost £100 on this card and I don't even know if I can get a refund so any help getting this to work would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: