New graphics card issue (Gtx 980)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

rossgeldenhuys13

Honorable
Apr 14, 2013
Hi

I recently purchased a GTX 980 and it is giving me trouble. Whenever I do a benchmark test my PC screen either goes black or my PC powers off completely.
If I lower my core clock by 200 mhz it seems to be stable but I obviously would prefer the card to run on default settings atleast.
My previous card, an old Radeon HD7870 packed up and started giving me artifacts which hopefully isnt pointing to a PSU issue?

Things I have already done:
Reinstalled drivers fully by deleting old manually and in control panel.
Playing around with clocking which is why I figured out if I underclock the card it will work.
The maximum temp it has reached is 60C so it isn't an overheating issue.

I am fairly certain it is either a faulty GFX card or a faulty PSU.

My system is pretty old other than the new card:
PSU: Huntkey APFC 700W
CPU: Intel i5 2320 3Ghz
MOBO: Gigabyte Z68APD3
HDD: Seagate Barracuda LP ST31000520AS 1TB 5900 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive Bare Drive
RAM: 2x 4GB Hyperx Fury 1600 mhz

My question is how I can figure out what the issue is? Is this PSU enough?
My dad has a 450W really old PSU so I probably can't test it with his PC.

Solution
While it may be a card and motherboard issue, or just a bad card, I suggest you replace the PSU anyway, it's not a good quality unit, quite a few of the Huntkey PSUs are rated "avoid like the plague". Better power supply will be good for the system overall, even if it does not fix the issue, which it may.
?? my guess is still your old board and its bios just don't have support for todays new cards ..

''Just FYI, people have had more compatibility issues with Giga boards than any other I know of. It gets worse as you move down to the cheaper ones as well.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1605802/official-radeon-rx48...

can be same thing if that h81 don't have a supporting bios for the new cards [???]

''I tested the card on a friends rig and it worked. Ran valley benchmark on ultra like a charm.''

ill stick to what I said -- that's just the way it is for some unlucky few

and to be honest I did not expect my 980ti to work on this z87 with its first release bios but I guess I got lucky / I figured I would have to get one of the latest bios on the board , but this was something I knew going in to a new card on it

Power supplies don't run out of power. That's a common misconception. What causes problems is unstable voltage.

ya, if you been using the same psu from your first post on that newer bard maybe worth looking at ? my 980 ti has peaked up to 275w that's 23 amps just for it alone

a solid true 700w psu should be rated at 58.3 amps at the 12v+

looking at this that huntkey you got lists ''up to '' 36 on 2 rails combined ?? that don't mean per each cause you cant exceed the watts to amps ??

I would try a real name brand top teir psu with a known solid and stable build quality [opinion]

http://www.game-debate.com/psu/index.php?ps_id=1846&psu=Huntkey%20APFC%20700%20700W

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/3aq0oq/is_my_psu_terrible/

wow reader comments are kinda hard /

https://www.techpowerup.com/210657/huntkey-announces-x-treme-series-of-power-supply

rossgeldenhuys13

Honorable
Apr 14, 2013
@turkey what I meant was what if for example my psu gives of 550W constant. PC idles using 300. Using gfx on medium graphics it uses 500 and if it goes to ultra it requires 600W which is more than the psu can give. What actually happens?

it fails to work properly if at all may shut down / bsod or black screen what ever due to lack of power ? thing is your psu seems to be low end cheap-o
then you got that older board that you still don't know if it bios will fully support these newer cards ?

you said '' I tested the card on a friends rig and it worked. Ran valley benchmark on ultra like a charm '

then you said '' Sorry forgot to mention that it still has the issue on the h81 board with the i5 4series cpu ''

and did not say if you used that same huntkey psu on it ??

that pretty much tells you its not the card

get a real quality name brand psu and use the latest bios for your mother board and retest .. that's just where your at with it ?

rossgeldenhuys13

Honorable
Apr 14, 2013
Hi friends

Sorry I haven't posted the solution yet as I have been busy with exams. I purchased a 650W super flower golden green 80+ gold PSU and my GFX is running like a charm. 72 average fps on valley benchmark on extreme hd setting!

It was 100% a faulty PSU. I don't think it could handle higher loads.

Thank you for all your help!