New graphics card = problem :(

AntonyM

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2011
So my old Nvidia 8600GT broke and i got myself a Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 5770, And ever since when i have been trying to play COD 4 my PC will shut down say 10-15 minutes into the game, i am still able to hears fans and see lights coming from my PC but. Strangely it seems to be able to last longer in Company of Heroes which i would assume uses up a lot more juice than COD 4.

My PC is custom built and i asked my dad's friend (the guy who built it) and he said it's probably the PSU and i forgot how much watts he told me it was and when i open up my case i see nothing on my PSU except one small sticker and i have absolutely no idea what it means, it doesn't tell me watts, volts, amps or anything. It's basically just a bunch of boxes with a tick in one of them.

Now heres something interesting, A couple of times when i tried to turn on my PC right after it crashes it gives me a screen with some info of my PC (basically just memory, hardrives, usb devices etc) and at the very bottom of it it says CPU Over Temperature Error Press F1 to continue.

Also i just cleaned quite a bit of dust off my fans and i still get this problem.

NV 8600GT requires a minimum of 300 Watt power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 18 Amp Amps.

HD5770 requires a minimum of 450 Watt power supply with one 75W 6-pin PCI Express power connector.

So PSU is more likely your culprit, don't skimp on the ££ and get a good quality psu.

rand_79

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
prob a cpu fan/case fans going bad.
could also be a power supply issue.

if you do remove the cpu cooler make sure you clean off any old residue and reapply with something similar to arctic silver, arctic silver 5 or whatever the current flavor thats preferred is.