Question New graphics card won't work

Mar 21, 2019
So, I'm kinda new too all this. I needed a new video card so I bought what I hoped would work. And it won't. Go figure. Well, I need help now. I have an older AMD pc 2014 and bought a radeon RX570. My question is can anyone help me make this work? Do I need a new motherboard or? Thanks in advance and please be nice as I have no flippin idea what I'm doing. P.S. I did build this pc back in Feb 2014 so I do know just enough to hang parts.

NoMercyBeAst

Reputable
Oct 18, 2017
So, I'm kinda new too all this. I needed a new video card so I bought what I hoped would work. And it won't. Go figure. Well, I need help now. I have an older AMD pc 2014 and bought a radeon RX570. My question is can anyone help me make this work? Do I need a new motherboard or? Thanks in advance and please be nice as I have no flippin idea what I'm doing. P.S. I did build this pc back in Feb 2014 so I do know just enough to hang parts.
Can you list out your pc specs?
Cpu-
Mobo-
Pcu-

NoMercyBeAst

Reputable
Oct 18, 2017
On many PCs, there will be a few expansion slots on the motherboard. Typically they will all be PCI Express, but for a graphics card you need a PCI Express x16 slot. There are three versions of this slot, but they’re backwards compatible, so a modern PCI Express 3.0 graphics card will work in a motherboard with a PCI Express x16 2.0 slot.
Even if you have PCI Express x16 slot and plenty of room, you’ll need extra power for most graphics cards. Your power supply is likely to have PCI-E power connectors, but they may be bundled up and tied out of the way if no graphics card is currently fitted.

These connectors are usually black, marked as PCI-E and have six pins in a 3x2 arrangement.

If your PSU doesn’t have these, you can buy adaptors which connect to the standard four-pin power or SATA connectors. Be careful with graphics cards that require two PCI Express power connectors as each of these should be connected to a different 12v rail of the power supply. On most PSUs this means connecting each of the two adaptors to a different ‘daisy chain’ of power connectors, and not to the same chain.

How to know if a graphics card is compatible: Find the PCI Express slot

Mar 21, 2019
On many PCs, there will be a few expansion slots on the motherboard. Typically they will all be PCI Express, but for a graphics card you need a PCI Express x16 slot. There are three versions of this slot, but they’re backwards compatible, so a modern PCI Express 3.0 graphics card will work in a motherboard with a PCI Express x16 2.0 slot.
Even if you have PCI Express x16 slot and plenty of room, you’ll need extra power for most graphics cards. Your power supply is likely to have PCI-E power connectors, but they may be bundled up and tied out of the way if no graphics card is currently fitted.

These connectors are usually black, marked as PCI-E and have six pins in a 3x2 arrangement.

If your PSU doesn’t have these, you can buy adaptors which connect to the standard four-pin power or SATA connectors. Be careful with graphics cards that require two PCI Express power connectors as each of these should be connected to a different 12v rail of the power supply. On most PSUs this means connecting each of the two adaptors to a different ‘daisy chain’ of power connectors, and not to the same chain.

How to know if a graphics card is compatible: Find the PCI Express slot
I bought the power adapter because I thought I only had the 6 pin but really have the 8. But the original isn't long enough so am using it as an extension as needed. I listed the specs on another response?

Mar 21, 2019
The card is 100% compatible with your specs.
Just plug it in.
For installation take a look on this video.
View: https://youtu.be/vzvxmK-gTNE
My problem I feel is I didn't get an install CD and I'm having issues maybe with the download? I feel this way because after I install the drivers from the AMD site it doesn't work at all. And I have to reinstall the old card and start over? Like I mentioned I'm very new to replacing parts as this build has been flawless for years

NoMercyBeAst

Reputable
Oct 18, 2017
My problem I feel is I didn't get an install CD and I'm having issues maybe with the download? I feel this way because after I install the drivers from the AMD site it doesn't work at all. And I have to reinstall the old card and start over? Like I mentioned I'm very new to replacing parts as this build has been flawless for years
Did you downloaded drivers from here?
https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics/radeon-500-series/radeon-rx-500-series/radeon-rx-570
Then it should work fine
And ya uninstall the old drivers

Mar 21, 2019
Did you downloaded drivers from here?
https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics/radeon-500-series/radeon-rx-500-series/radeon-rx-570
Then it should work fine
And ya uninstall the old drivers
I didn't uninstall the old drivers? Idk how to do that? I did install as per the link you provided. And it refuses to work. Won't show a display after the driver installed and I try to restart my pc as part of the process? When I restart the pc after driver install it doesn't work. I have to replace with the old card, remove the new AMD program and reboot. Then I can install the new card and try again? Is my Norton the problem? Should I remove that and try without it? I'm seriously lost at this point. I've tried this several times with zero success

NoMercyBeAst

Reputable
Oct 18, 2017
I didn't uninstall the old drivers? Idk how to do that? I did install as per the link you provided. And it refuses to work. Won't show a display after the driver installed and I try to restart my pc as part of the process? When I restart the pc after driver install it doesn't work. I have to replace with the old card, remove the new AMD program and reboot. Then I can install the new card and try again? Is my Norton the problem? Should I remove that and try without it? I'm seriously lost at this point. I've tried this several times with zero success
Drivers files should always be uninstalled before updating to newer drivers and thats your issue.
So refer to this website to uninstall your old drivers.
And then update to new drivers.

Reactions: Moonshyne1972
Mar 21, 2019
Ok, super annoyed now. I removed the old drivers and install per the link above. When I reboot it shows the start page then my monitor says no signal and the video card fan stops running. If I boot in safe mode it shows the card and driver are correct. I'm at my wits end. Please help me?

Mar 21, 2019
So, my old card the VGA is what stopped working but the hdmi output would. The new card shows the start up via the hdmi. But not the VGA
I'm wondering if the motherboard is bad and that's my whole problem