[SOLVED] New GSkill Ultra Capacity Trident Z compatability?

Nexus52085

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
Toms just mentioned a few days ago (article) that gskill is launching higher capacity modules under the Trident Z Royal and Trident Z Neo monikers. The article claims that they are only designed for HEDT platforms and only come in quad channel configurations. However, from gskill's website, it reads differently.

"Ultra-High Capacity Performance – Trident Z Royal DDR4-3200 CL16 256GB (32GBx8) "

"Massive High-Speed 128GB on Dual-Channels – Trident Z Neo DDR4-3600 CL18 128GB (32GBx4) "
You can read the article from gskill's website here

From what I can tell, the Trident Z Royal's are exclusively quad channel, and the Trident Z Neo's are dual channel. Am I understanding this correctly?

Toms just mentioned a few days ago (article) that gskill is launching higher capacity modules under the Trident Z Royal and Trident Z Neo monikers. The article claims that they are only designed for HEDT platforms and only come in quad channel configurations. However, from gskill's website, it reads differently.

"Ultra-High Capacity Performance – Trident Z Royal DDR4-3200 CL16 256GB (32GBx8) "

"Massive High-Speed 128GB on Dual-Channels – Trident Z Neo DDR4-3600 CL18 128GB (32GBx4)
"

From what I can tell, the Trident Z Royal's are exclusively quad channel, and the Trident Z Neo's are dual channel. Am I understanding this correctly?
Dual and Quad channel are only CPU and MB functions. any paired RAM sticks should work in dual channel mode but for quad channel mode you need 4 paired sticks and CPU and MB/BIOS that supports quad channel.

"Massive High-Speed 128GB on Dual-Channels – Trident Z Neo DDR4-3600 CL18 128GB (32GBx4)
"

Dual and Quad channel are only CPU and MB functions. any paired RAM sticks should work in dual channel mode but for quad channel mode you need 4 paired sticks and CPU and MB/BIOS that supports quad channel.

Nexus52085

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
I see. So theoretically, I could put the Royals in a X570 board, but it would be limited to 128GB. Gskill just isn’t configuring the Neo’s in matched 8-stick 256GB configurations, so for example using to sets of 128GB Neo’s wouldn’t make much sense. You’d get the Royals for that. Correct?

I see. So theoretically, I could put the Royals in a X570 board, but it would be limited to 128GB. Gskill just isn’t configuring the Neo’s in matched 8-stick 256GB configurations, so for example using to sets of 128GB Neo’s wouldn’t make much sense. You’d get the Royals for that. Correct?
That MB has only 4 RAM slots so you'd need 4x32GB memory sticks and would get 2 dual channel channels as Ryzen doezn't support quad channel. For anything more you need Threadripper setup.

Nexus52085

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
That’s what I meant. Based on what you’re telling me, the royals were designed for HEDT (threadripper) setups solely because they come and 8-stick configurations, where the Neo’s do not. So buying Neo’s for threadripper wouldn’t be optimal. Thanks for answering by the way. This helps a lot

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS