New GTX 1060 Crashing/Random Restarting/Black screen for 2 seconds then recovery

Chad_36

Commendable
Jan 25, 2017
Hello,

I have recently purchased a brand new gtx 1060 which I had installed yesterday and have been plagued with random crashing (Random mess of colours on screen requiring forced restart), Random restarting and black screens for 2 seconds which resume back to where I were with no error or indication as to what happened ever since the installation, The PC was running issue free for several weeks prior to installation of the card.

I have since installed a new copy of windows 10 and latest drviers = crashing
I then removed drivers with DDU and installed drivers provided on disk = more crashing
currently I have reverted back to the newer drivers which from what I can see over the last three-four hours the crashes are less, but still crashes how ever the temporary (2 seconds) black screens have since increased.

PC Specs:
ASUS GTX 1060
I5 6600K
Z170-A by ASUS
XFX PRO 850W Black edition Silver certified 80+ (3-4 Years old, from previous build)
8GB Corsair vengeance
1.0TB WD blue hard drive
256gb SSD sandisk
H80 Corsair watercooling

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thankyou.

rhelmar1

Respectable
May 23, 2016

Yeah, that sounds like a hardware issue. I would get in contact with asus.

Chad_36

Commendable
Jan 25, 2017
Damn It could be, However might I add I did purchase an RX480 and had very similar issues so I replaced it with the gtx1060 and to no avail it does not work.

rhelmar1

Respectable
May 23, 2016

Now that does seem strange. I would have said maybe the PSU, but you said the 460 was fine, so I don't think that that is the case. I can't really think of anything else that could cause such behaviour. My suggestion would still be to return the card, but maybe someone else on here has a solution for you. Good Luck!

Chad_36

Commendable
Jan 25, 2017

Hmm I am quite stumped my self. I will return the card how ever in the meantime I am going to place the card into another system just in case on the off chance it works flawlessly. If so that should conclude whether I have an issue with any of my other components then the question is which one or the gtx 1060.

rhelmar1

Respectable
May 23, 2016

Post in this thread again if you find something. Maybe we can work something out.

Chad_36

Commendable
Jan 25, 2017

Hello again! I have placed the card into a new system, nothing special just a cheap am3+ board and cheap Athlon chip, 500watt power supply and 4gb corsair vengeance ram DDR3.

Only difference is this has a copy of windows 8 how ever I believe the windows 8 and 10 drivers to be the same. So should hopefully cause little difference.

removed old g card drivers with DDU and installed the latest drivers for the gtx 1060.

So far so good (Working for 45 minutes) which in that time I would of expected to of seen a crash/black screen for 2 seconds or so how ever I have not witnessed anything. On the odd occasion it has survived for two hours before displaying issues so I shall continue to test.

in case it does continue to work...it clearly lies with A) Another component B)Windows 8 is stable as opposed to windows 10 which i shall try how ever I do not believe this as i tested the rx 480 on windows 10 and 8 which presented the issues i described on both C) Unlikely however I have heard of complex issue; with it not being compatible with a BIOS requiring a custom BIOS from the manufacturer. I do believe option A is the issue due to the fact of the RX 480 not working.

Any suggestions would be great.

Update: was stable for 3 hours in other build. Not a problem. So I decided to place PSU from the other system to my system in the off chance mines playing up how ever shortly after installation I received several black screen issues previously described.

So PSU is certainly not the issue, So I am trying an install of Windows 8 in the off chance windows 10 is problematic for my setup.

Further update - Windows 8, no luck. Issues persist.

However I believe I may have turned a leaf, I have done something to the PC on the hardware side of things and believe I have made a difference. I do not want to speak to soon so I shall not go into detail. Running test over night to stress the GPU & I'll post results tomorrow as well as the change I made.

Arkanos

Commendable
Feb 7, 2017
Any luck? I am having random black screen errors that force me to restart my pc while gaming or watching video. EVGA gtx 1070 ftw here. I have been searching for days and havent found an answer that works.

Chad_36

Commendable
Jan 25, 2017

Yes mate my computer has been working flawlessly since. I completely forgot to update this post how ever I almost doubt my solution will be of any help to you.

The reason it were failing was partially because of my computer case(Due to its design), my computer case is the Thermal take p5 which has a bracket for you to connect your graphics card too this means the card is not directly connected to the motherboard.

The card was then connected to the motherboard via a Thermaltake PCI-E x16 3.0 Riser Cable which was in fact the issue.

From what I could see from testing was that the Riser cable was unable to transfer data at the required rate. How ever it could of also been due to the power delivery through the riser cable how ever when checking power it appeared to be delivering the required amount so i do not believe this was the issue at all.

How ever since removing the riser cable and connecting my graphics card directly to my motherboard it has been flawless since.

Arkanos

Commendable
Feb 7, 2017

Thanks! Im glad youre up and running. Ive begun the RMA process myself, so hopefully that will end my issues. EVGA was pretty certain it must be the card when i messaged them.

Chad_36

Commendable
Jan 25, 2017

Thank you I appreciate that. I hope yours is sorted by the RMA, It is the downside of computers unfortunately sometimes parts are just broken and other times it could be a configuration issue (Conflict with another part) so it can be rather tedious. I hope the RMA solves all issues how ever in the event that it does not contact me and I shall help you trouble shoot.

Just some food for thought, I presume your system was running perfect prior to installation was this the case if so did you also have a graphics card in or were you using an on-board card?, Do you have a sufficient power supply at least a 500-600watt? What is your Power supply as cheap branded ones generally do not output what they state? Have you reinstalled windows and fresh drivers? (If removing drivers use DDU to remove entirely as files may be left over if you were to unstall from lets say add and remove which could cause further conflict)Tried different driver versions? Removed old drivers?

Arkanos

Commendable
Feb 7, 2017
I actually built a new pc back in sept. It ran like a dream until about 2-3 weeks ago, which is when the crashes started. Ive since wiped my drives and completely reinstalled windows and updated everything. But they still keep happening. PSU is CORSAIR RMx Series RM1000X 1000W 80 PLUS GOLD.

Chad_36

Commendable
Jan 25, 2017
Has it been crashing since installation of the GTX 1070 or did you install the card back in September? & Power delivery is mostly likely not an issue then, What is the rest of your build?

Arkanos

Commendable
Feb 7, 2017

It was back with everything in sept.
Rest of the build is:
CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K
MB: ASUS TUF SABERTOOTH Z170 MARK 1
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4

Chad_36

Commendable
Jan 25, 2017

I would remove your graphics card and run my on-board card, That should conclude whether or not it is another part. Have you already done so? If so what was the result?