New GTX 660 Ti or used GTX 680

Vianggara Surya

Honorable
Mar 13, 2013
i want to buy graphic card, my budget is arround gtx 660 Ti. a friend of mine selling his used GTX 680 (GV-N680D5-2GD-B) (bought in april 2012) never been overclocked with price roughly same as new GTX 660 Ti (in my country, which is indonesia). which one should i buy?

rdc85

Honorable
Well u need to know why he selling u the 680, even he u're friend...
if the price diffrent is to big the card also still in this gen card, something sound fishy..

It will better to get the 680, but make sure the card is still in good condition.... (but i do feel something is not right)
the bright side maybe he just a generous and loaded guy...

ilikegirls

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2009
It all depends, the GTX 680 is much more powerful than the 660 ti in an ideal world. Not living in an ideal world, you should consider a few things before making your decision.

Like rdc85 stated, you must first determine what is the condition of the GTX 680. I would also advise finding out how old it is. The GTX 680 hasn't been out for more than a year so if the price is low enough, you might be able to grab the card with a manufacturers warranty still still active.
Note: I would make sure the card has no physical damage or anything that would void the warranty, seeing how that could case an issue.

If for some reason you dont want to deal with the hassle of getting the card fix/replaced (if it's possible) then I would advise you go with the 660Ti. It's a good card and will allow you to run almost any game out today without an issue.

Last note (sorry this is so long!): What CPU do you have? Make sure your CPU can support a moster card like the 680 before you decide. No use in thinking about all of this if your computer cant handle one of the cards :p

Good luck!

Vianggara Surya

Honorable
Mar 13, 2013
well, i havent see the card by myself, but it still have 2 years warranty by Gigabyte, he said it never been overclocked, the price difference between the new and used gtx 680 is around IDR 2.000.000 ~ USD 200 in this case.

my current PC spec :
motherboard: asrock z77 extreame 6,
intel i53570k,
2 x 4gb ddr3(corsair),
nvidia gts250 by DA
PSU 500 watt (they said it's "pure", tough i dont know what it means)

the PSU is irrelevant because either way i need to buy new one

any idea what should i seek when inspecting the card? cause you said something is fishy..
i could use the heads up

sanilmahambre

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2012

Two years warranty sounds good offer to me! If the card is not physically damaged or overclocked grab it immediately!

rdc85

Honorable
Just a note, if u ever needed to claim the gigabyte warranty then u will need to send it to the Gigabyte distributor in Mangga Dua Mall in Jakarta........

But sometimes they will require u to go through the shop where the card is buy from.....

anyways u will need to check the physical condition of the card, find if there any burn mark, swollen/cracked capacitor...
Are the fan still spinning fine..

then try installing it, running stressing/benchmark programs/apps to check for the temp or any graphical glitch, or crash....

u can use 3dmark, Heaven, Furmark .....

also make sure the warranty seal are still intact and in good condition

woggy101

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012
Look at the end of the day you always risk running into problems when you purchase second hand goods, personally i never buy second hand pc components as you never know the history of it, by that i mean has it been overclocked (a person selling you an item will never tell you it was overclocked as they know you will eathier think twice about buying it or want a bigger discount but they will deny like hell that it was even if they are your friend). In saying that it could be a great card that wont have any problems what so ever but to be on the safe side i would opt for the 660ti it may not be as powerfull but it will be peace of mind