[SOLVED] New Hard Drive hardly performing

Jan 25, 2019
Hi all,

I just purchased an asus laptop for school and gaming barely 5 months ago, recently I've noticed the disk usage spiking to 100%

I have tried reinstalling windows, editing sections of the registry, disabling services, but nothing has fixed my issue. My hard drive just doesn't seem to be performing, and in task manager System seems to be hogging all the disk usage.

I've defragged, run disk check, and several other of the common command prompt lines that I've seen posted around to try and resolve this issue but nothing seems to be working. Considering how new this laptop is I just don't see the physical damage to the hard drive being the issue.

I'd rather not try to open this laptop up and check the SATA ports but I understand that could be part of the problem.

At this point I was hoping someone could review the logs of my Windows Performance Recorder before I just bring the laptop in to get serviced. Or if anyone has further suggestions I'm getting a little desperate. I appreciate any of the help in advance.

Solution
I'd go to the Asus support page for this laptop and download an image to restore this laptop to factory condition. Or, maybe your laptop already has the files on it that allow you to restore it to factory condition.

Reinstalling Windows is not the same thing. Windows is an operating system with no customization for specific computers. Laptops, being made to run on batteries, can and do often have custom utilities and drivers that allow for minimal power use. This is why you'd want to restore to how Asus configured it, not to how Windows will configure it. if you still have problems after restoring it, that does seem to indicate a hardware related issue.
I'd go to the Asus support page for this laptop and download an image to restore this laptop to factory condition. Or, maybe your laptop already has the files on it that allow you to restore it to factory condition.

Reinstalling Windows is not the same thing. Windows is an operating system with no customization for specific computers. Laptops, being made to run on batteries, can and do often have custom utilities and drivers that allow for minimal power use. This is why you'd want to restore to how Asus configured it, not to how Windows will configure it. if you still have problems after restoring it, that does seem to indicate a hardware related issue.

Solution