New Hard drive not detected

funkin182

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2010
Hi guys i instialled a new hard drive today. Its a 1tb samsung drive, exact same model as the one currently in there. It is connected properly and spins up when i turn the computer on and i can see it in my cmos bios setup under channel 3 master (CH1 is my main drive, CH2 is my dvd/cd). When windows boots up its not in my computer. I cant even see it in device manager or disk management so i cant format it or anything!! Please helppppp

i just tried unplugging my main hdd (with windows on it) and restarted the computer. with the w7 install cd in it detected the new hard drive but i could not format it without installing windows on it so i cancelled the installation. this at least confirms the hdd is not faulty, i have no idea how to fix this

You have to look in the LOWER portion of the RIGHT pane of Disk Management in order to see a new drive that hasn't been partitioned or formatted yet. You may have to scroll down in the window to see it. Right-click on the drive to partition (create a volume) and format it - once you've done that it will have a drive letter and will show up in the top portion of the right pane and in Windows Explorer.

funkin182

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2010
lol im not THAT noob man. the far right pane is actions anyway and you cant scroll that down. i know the pane you mean, in w7 its the middle bottom pane, and the disk is not there.

Sorry - it's a common problem.

If the drive shows up using the Windows 7 install disk then you might try using that to partition and format the drive. You don't need to install Windows to do that, just click the "Advanced Options" link on the screen that gives you the choice of where to install Windows - you'll see the options that allow you to do that.

It's a bit of a long shot, but after the drive is partitioned and formatted it might show up when you boot from your regular Windows partition.

funkin182

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2010
Well i tried the w7 install but when i clicked advanced options format was greyed out. i then tried to format it by putting it in an old external enclosure and connecting that to the pc but it didnt recognize it. NOW THE GOOD NEWS :D When i put the hard drive back in the computer i connected it to a different sata port and it showed up in the bios as a slave to my first drive instead of a master on its own channel. when windows booted up the drive was automatically in my computer and disk manager!! guess that solves my problem. Is it okay to leave this hard rive as slave? i dont really know what that means

You can try to uninstall the Hard Drive Driver and then Reassign the drive letter to the hard drive

● Press Win Key + R to and then type Devmgmt.msc to launch the Device Manager.
● Go to Univeral Serial Bus Controller > Choose the device with an unrecognized icon.
● Right-click on it and choose Uninstall.
● If your hard disk shows up as in My computer/This PC, follow below steps to reassign the drive letter to this hard drive.
● Going to file explorer and select “This PC.”
● From the options above, select “Map Network Drive.”
● Choose a drive letter that is not in use and finds your drive by clicking “Browse.”

If there are important files on the drive, you need to recover them. This can be done with Bitwar Data Recovery.
  1. Launch Bitwar and select the hard drive you want to recover.
  2. Choose the scan mode and select the file types.
  3. Preview and recover the data you need.

Please try not to bring back up posts as old as this one. This post is from 2010 lol.