G

I will be upgrading my harddrive in the next few weeks and I was wondering how I would partition the new harddrive, since ive never done this before. The drive will be 15.3 gig. Also, would I be able to partition the new harddrive then transfer the files from my old harddrive into the new one? Any help would be appreciated.

G

If you were extremely pleased with your old setup (stable, with lots of progs installed), I'd recommend Ghosting the disks .. get yourself a demo copy of Norton ghost, hang them two drives as master/slave, and copy the image from disk -> disk. 20 minutes, and off you are ..

Best of luck.

P.S. It's always nice to start from scratch though ... keeps your disks nice & fresh !

G

Ok thx for the info. Currently my drive is a 12gig ibm deskstar which is not partitioned. Should I partition the new drive?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by ownz0r on 06/01/01 06:08 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Depends on its size and what you want.
some people do 2 or more partitions, 1 smallish one <5gb for the operating system, swapfile & programs, then others for games, movies music etc
they reckon the speed is a little better,
but i personally cant be bothered as i always seem to get problems with running out of room on partitions, requiring moving stuff, and programs not working properly becuase they arnt on the primary drive ie. C:
and the speed loss isnt really noticable if i keep my disk in good order and defragged regularly

I would show you some apathy, but i just cant be bothered.

G

no the reason im upgrading is I have an older ibm deskstar ata66 and want to upgrade to either a diamond max or quantum fireball ata100 drive.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
i really reccomend you stick with an IBM drive!
i have a 16.8GP and ive recently upgraded to a 40gig 60GXP.
cant go past the reliability

i reccomend the 20gig 60GXP

This behavior must not continue! Feel the BURNING STARE of my HAMSTER... and change your ways!