Question New HDD - Can I run a quick format after my full format failed at 100%?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yrkano

Prominent
Apr 20, 2022
Hello!

I recently installed a new 2TB internal HDD in my PC because my old one was failing. (Here's the new drive I bought, in case that helps: https://a.co/d/7CZY9IE)

This one came not formatted, and I've read that running just a quick format on a new drive can lead to corruption in the future, so I did the usual process in DISKPART of running the "clean"and "create partition primary" commands, and then I ran a full format to ntfs.

The formatting took a long time (about 32 hours), and then it gave me an "incorrect parameter" error after it reached 100% progress.
Now my drive has a raw partition that takes all space on the drive.

My question: can I run a quick format safely now? It seems to me like if it got to 100%, it already checked the whole drive, filling it with zeros, before it failed. And here's what my drive's statistics and attributes are when I view them in gSmartControl:

Attributes.png

Statistics.png

Am I good to run "format fs=ntfs quick" now? Thank you so much for taking the time to read my question!

Last edited:

Yrkano

Prominent
Apr 20, 2022
I can't see anything that would explain the "incorrect parameter" error.
Thank you, that's good to hear. Do you know if I can safely just run a quick format and get started now? If it got to 100%, does that mean that all the zero-filling and sector checking was done, but it failed to complete the last step of setting up the partition as ntfs? I'm just guessing here, so confirmation would be nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.