[SOLVED] New HDD doesn't work?

Bricks1226

Honorable
Nov 17, 2015
So I just built my new PC a few days ago and I created a partition on my M.2 for windows, then I tried to create a partition on my 4TB WD Black hard drive. At first, the Windows disk management tool gave me an I/O device error, so I unplugged the sata power from the power supply and plugged it back in and it started to work properly. Fast forward to today, I booted up my PC and the hard drive partition disappeared from file explorer and again I'm having the I/O error. I unplugged the power like I did before and the drive isn't even showing up at all anymore. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
Two things, how would I reformat my drive and secondly how would I figure out whether or not my PSU is failing?
Provided your os is most likely on the the M.2. Back-up the data on the WD drive. Using crystal disk verify the disk is not reporting issues, Bad Blocks/Sectors etc. Re-format the drive. To test the PSU the only way i know is to get a known good one and see if the issue continues. Before i would change the PSU make sure the connections are good and firm.

Keep in mind even new parts have bad electronics from time to time. If the HDD has lots of bad sectors, Bad controller, ETC it will cause an I/O error.
At first, the Windows disk management tool gave me an I/O device error, so I unplugged the sata power from the power supply and plugged it back in and it started to work properly.
Did you do this, while pc is turned on? You can cause data corruption this way.

This is allowed only, if hot plug feature in BIOS has been turned on and you "safely remove" drive (same way as for external drive) before disconnecting power.

Drew125

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2014
At first, the Windows disk management tool gave me an I/O device error, so I unplugged the sata power from the power supply and plugged it back in

With that being an internal drive, doing this will cause damage unless hot plug is enabled in the bios. Even then you need to safely remove it first. as Skynetrising said. You may need to re-format the drive to correct any corruption. If the connections are good and firm, it sounds like your PSU might be failing and causing the drive to not have enough power. Or you may have a bad HDD. When possible try to run Crystal Disk information on that WD drive. I am wondering if it reports some issues.

Bricks1226

Honorable
Nov 17, 2015
With that being an internal drive, doing this will cause damage unless hot plug is enabled in the bios. Even then you need to safely remove it first. as Skynetrising said. You may need to re-format the drive to correct any corruption. If the connections are good and firm, it sounds like your PSU might be failing and causing the drive to not have enough power. Or you may have a bad HDD. When possible try to run Crystal Disk information on that WD drive. I am wondering if it reports some issues.
Two things, how would I reformat my drive and secondly how would I figure out whether or not my PSU is failing?

Drew125

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2014
Provided your os is most likely on the the M.2. Back-up the data on the WD drive. Using crystal disk verify the disk is not reporting issues, Bad Blocks/Sectors etc. Re-format the drive. To test the PSU the only way i know is to get a known good one and see if the issue continues. Before i would change the PSU make sure the connections are good and firm.

Keep in mind even new parts have bad electronics from time to time. If the HDD has lots of bad sectors, Bad controller, ETC it will cause an I/O error.

Last edited:
Solution