New high end amd system getting LOW FPS

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

chromic

Honorable
Jan 6, 2013
if the problem happens again, try downgrading drivers, and if you take fps limiter off league of legends you should easily get +300 fps since im getting around 150-200 on a hd5850 & fx-6100

Discipleoflife

Honorable
Feb 23, 2013
no backup system.
and no scanning systems (probably should get at least antivirus)

However, I think myb bittorrent was runing in the background..
I swear i checked to make sure it wasnt, but maybe i missed it.
if so the constant downloading would cause the fps/slow hdd.
Altho i dont have it set to start on windows, and i tried restarting several times. So maybe that wasnt the problem.

@chromic: I definitly am still not getting 300fps on it. However i go from 100-160. Which is MORE than acceptable for me.

BS:I is running on ultra at 60-80 FPS. up from the 30 on low.
SWTOR is running about 5-10 fps better (good considering its main slowing factor is the many people and not the gfx so im pleased. and im getting 40+ in the fleet. WHICH IS AWESOME.

Crysis still runs like shit. But you need like 5 computers transmuted together to run that thing on high 60+ lol.

Overall, im getting the fps i expect with this top end card.

However, I wonder if there is a way to squeeze out some extra fps.
Any tips on how to optimize for games? I know there are certain services that can be disable for the avg user. and some optimization tweaks. if anyone knows anything about this and willing to help. My computer is basically ONLY for gaming. I know my HDD is slow as molasis (5200rpm) and i've heard something about a ramdisk? putting files directly on ur ram for fast loading? anyone know anything? Itd be awesome if i could do that for games that use on demand loading untill i can afford a SSD or 7200.

OH! and one more thing. Does anyone know how to set up Physx with an AMD primary and nvidia dedicated physx? I did some basic googling, but it was all a little confusing, requiring special drivers (which im fine with as long as the work as well)
I know generally its not worth it. But i do play like 3-4 games that include Physx regularly (hawken, BS:I i think has it, Planetside, forgot if crysis does, and i think farcry3). And i have an old 9800GT (or 550ti but i need a higher psu for that. Myb it doesnt need the 6pin for just physx?) i could use.

Neways im rambling on. I havent tested 3d mark since its performance has improved. When i get home i will post the benchmark, hopefully my cpu will perform better.

chromic

Honorable
Jan 6, 2013
try downloading latest non-beta drivers, you could see an improvement, one time i had beta drivers and bf3 ran 40 fps and micro freezed every other min, then i downgraded the drivers to non-beta and had a nice +50 fps and no problems.

same with borderlands 2, 40-70 fps with beta 50-90 with non-beta

and bittorrent / utorrent shouldnt be decreasing fps in games, mainly only your ping increases by 10-200 ( depending on your internet speed )

Discipleoflife

Honorable
Feb 23, 2013
so get this. I found old nvidia drivers on my pc. I uninstalled them. and upon next reboot. I have no picture. board does not have onboard as far as i cant tell. (i see a port but its male and my cord is male. Think it might be serial)
I can put my old 9800gt in toone get around this but wondering if anyone thats knows if its possible to install drivers with some kind of usb live boot or something?

This also means that maybe somehow my 7950 was running on the driver for my 550ti (right?) which i didnt know was possible. but would explain my bad fps myb.

Discipleoflife

Honorable
Feb 23, 2013
so get this. I found old nvidia drivers on my pc. I uninstalled them. and upon next reboot. I have no picture. board does not have onboard as far as i cant tell. (i see a port but its male and my cord is male. Think it might be serial)
I can put my old 9800gt in toone get around this but wondering if anyone thats knows if its possible to install drivers with some kind of usb live boot or something?

This also means that maybe somehow my 7950 was running on the driver for my 550ti (right?) which i didnt know was possible. but would explain my bad fps myb.