Question New home build PC switching off after minutes

Mar 24, 2019
Hi,

We have a new home-build PC, which is experiencing some problems. It switches on and runs fine for several minutes (sometimes 5 sometimes 30) and then randomly switches itself off.

It has the following
CPU (brand new - i3-8100)
RAM (second hand - G.Skill DDR4 8GB 3000MHz)
Power supply (second hand at first, and now brand new - EVGA 500 W1, 80+ WHITE 500W, Power Supply 100-W1-0500-K3, Black)
Case (second hand - Novatech Vortex II)
Motherboard (second hand - MSI Z370-A Pro)
SDD (brand new - Patriot Burst 240GB)

Initially it was on Windows 10 and it was happening. Then we downgraded it to Windows 8 and it happened less, but still happened. We've gone back to Windows 10 again (though ultimately I want to do a fresh install when we've fixed the hardware issue).

Initially we thought it was a power supply issue, so we replaced the second hand one with a brand new one, but now we're still getting the same issues.

We've checked the CPU, and the heatsink seems to be fine, and we were under the impression that an over-heating CPU would be likely to switch off much quicker (a few seconds) than 30 minutes.

It's becoming a little frustrating for my son because he's been saving up for the parts, and can't get it work.

Any suggestions on things that we can do in order to try and diagnose the problem?

Is there software we can run that can monitor and diagnose if it's a power issue of some sort? Since we replaced the power supply with a brand new one we've been wondering if it is the motherboard, but I'm not sure how to monitor the power demand? Could a faulty motherboard (or CPU) suddenly spike the power and cause the power unit to switch itself off?

Unfortunately he only has one RAM chip, so we can't easily test if that is faulty.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Joe

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2019
I've edited the original post to add in the detailed specs - tks ...
In the meantime ...

It has the following
CPU (brand new - i3-8100)
RAM (second hand - G.Skill DDR4 8GB 3000MHz)
Power supply (second hand at first, and now brand new - EVGA 500 W1, 80+ WHITE 500W, Power Supply 100-W1-0500-K3, Black)
Case (second hand - Novatech Vortex II)
Motherboard (second hand - MSI Z370-A Pro)
SDD (brand new - Patriot Burst 240GB)