Question New Home Media Server/NAS RAID Array Build Help - $1000~ Budget

Dougtron

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2012
So I'm looking to build an NAS/Home Media Server. I don't need it to be very powerful as only 2 or 3 users at most would be accessing it at any time. I'd like it to be able to handle 4K media but the playback is all going to be handle by the clients computers so I don't need it to be able to do any on the fly transcoding or anything like that. As long as the computer is powerful enough to handle all the traffic that is about all it needs to be capable of. I'm thinking about around $1000 total and would like most of the money to go towards good HDDs.

It's looking like 4TB drives might be the best value and I'm thinking of doing 6 to 8 drives total. Any recommendations on the best RAID mode to use would also be greatly appreciated. I'd like a good amount of redundancy without sacrificing too much usuable drive space. Ideally I'd like to have at least 16TB of usuable space.

Approximate Purchase Date: The Present

Budget Range: $1000~

System Usage: Media Server/NAS RAID Array (4K Media)

Are you buying a monitor: No

Need to buy OS: Planning to use FreeNAS

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: NewEgg

kanewolf

Titan
So I'm looking to build an NAS/Home Media Server. I don't need it to be very powerful as only 2 or 3 users at most would be accessing it at any time. I'd like it to be able to handle 4K media but the playback is all going to be handle by the clients computers so I don't need it to be able to do any on the fly transcoding or anything like that. As long as the computer is powerful enough to handle all the traffic that is about all it needs to be capable of. I'm thinking about around $1000 total and would like most of the money to go towards good HDDs.

It's looking like 4TB drives might be the best value and I'm thinking of doing 6 to 8 drives total. Any recommendations on the best RAID mode to use would also be greatly appreciated. I'd like a good amount of redundancy without sacrificing too much usuable drive space. Ideally I'd like to have at least 16TB of usuable space.

Approximate Purchase Date: The Present

Budget Range: $1000~

System Usage: Media Server/NAS RAID Array (4K Media)

Are you buying a monitor: No

Need to buy OS: Planning to use FreeNAS

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: NewEgg

Have you considered a commercial NAS rather than build your own? Thecus, QNAP and Synology are close to plug and play.