[SOLVED] New i9 10850k always boosted to 4.8-5 ghz

elk123

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
Hi,

I installed an i9 10850k on a msi z490 a pro motherboard (new) yesterday and I cannot get the cpu to downclock when it is idle. My speeds are constantly around 4.8 ghz, even when utilization is under 10%.

I don't have msi dragon center
windows power plan is set to balanced
C limits are enabled in the bios
speedset/speedshift is enabled
I turned off enhanced turbo (which I think is MSI's equivalent of MCE)
I found the voltage of the cpu to be quite high (generally around 1.3) so I set an offset of -.1

None of these settings seem to change anything. Any idea what I can do? Someone on another thread said that this was due to Intel® Thermal Velocity Boost Frequency , but I cannot figure out how to change this.

Thank you for your help.

Solution
I only replaced the motherboard, cpu, and ram. Windows was already installed. I will try to clear cmos (removing the battery?). Hwinfo shows all cores at 4.8 ghz. I really don't understand why the AVX setting is affecting them...
As for the chipset, I am not sure. When I look up the driver for the i9 chipset, I get information about a graphics driver and intel extreme tuning utility. Is that what I should download?

Thanks

You replaced the board, cpu and ram. A new Windows 10 install should have been done. The old motherboard chipset drivers are still in that OS install. All the registry entries too. Reinstall Windows 10.
The AVX offset should only affect things during an actual AVX workload...for which sitting idle at the desktop does not qualify.

If this was a new buildup, was Windows freshly/newly installed for this mainboard/CPU? Were all appropriate chipset drivers installed? All WIndows updates applied?

Is your BIOS defaulted with regards to CPU multipliers? (Any sort of overclocking presets applied in the BIOS? Clear CMOS, set to defaults, then setting desired XMP profile should eliminate these)

Ideally, with no workload, in Balanced Power plan, you should see the CPU idle down to as low as 800 MHz, with intermittent bursts to 1200-2400 MHz, and everything in between, if just desktop tinkering. YOu should only see all-core 4800 MHz under an application which induces all cores being loaded.

elk123

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
The AVX offset should only affect things during an actual AVX workload...for which sitting idle at the desktop does not qualify.

If this was a new buildup, was Windows freshly/newly installed for this mainboard/CPU? Were all appropriate chipset drivers installed? All WIndows updates applied?

Is your BIOS defaulted with regards to CPU multipliers? (Any sort of overclocking presets applied in the BIOS? Clear CMOS, set to defaults, then setting desired XMP profile should eliminate these)

Ideally, with no workload, in Balanced Power plan, you should see the CPU idle down to as low as 800 MHz, with intermittent bursts to 1200-2400 MHz, and everything in between, if just desktop tinkering. YOu should only see all-core 4800 MHz under an application which induces all cores being loaded.
I only replaced the motherboard, cpu, and ram. Windows was already installed. I will try to clear cmos (removing the battery?). Hwinfo shows all cores at 4.8 ghz. I really don't understand why the AVX setting is affecting them...
As for the chipset, I am not sure. When I look up the driver for the i9 chipset, I get information about a graphics driver and intel extreme tuning utility. Is that what I should download?

Thanks

Thanks

You replaced the board, cpu and ram. A new Windows 10 install should have been done. The old motherboard chipset drivers are still in that OS install. All the registry entries too. Reinstall Windows 10.

Solution

elk123

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
Can I reinstall it and keep my files or does it have to be a clean install?

It has to be a total reinstall of Windows 10. Meaning wiping the OS partition and installing Windows 10 latest install created using Windows Media Creation Tool.

If you do this you will have to reinstall all your games and programs and any files you want to backup will have to be saved externally or on another drive / partition that won't be wiped by Windows 10 installation.

Oh that's too bad. I am going to see if I can fix it it first with settings in the BIOS because reinstalling is going to be a huge pain.

Can I reinstall it and keep my files or does it have to be a clean install?

It has to be a total reinstall of Windows 10. Meaning wiping the OS partition and installing Windows 10 latest install created using Windows Media Creation Tool.

If you do this you will have to reinstall all your games and programs and any files you want to backup will have to be saved externally or on another drive / partition that won't be wiped by Windows 10 installation.

Reactions: boju

boju

Titan
Ambassador
I reinstalled and problem is the same

Assuming you've done all the updates afterwards and nothing else Windows is doing to configure itself elevating clock speeds, then id suspect it's something you've installed if at all? Any 3rd party utilities?

Complete clean Windows install & default bios configuration shouldn't be doing this. You did reinstall Windows from usb?

elk123

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
Assuming you've done all the updates afterwards and nothing else Windows is doing to configure itself elevating clock speeds, then id suspect it's something you've installed if at all? Any 3rd party utilities?

Complete clean Windows install & default bios configuration shouldn't be doing this. You did reinstall Windows from usb?
Yes, I reinstalled windows from a USB. I was hopeful because I saw it drop a bit after the install, but now al the clocks are around 4.2 ghz (because of the avx offset)

elk123

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
And did you install the mainboard's assorted sound/LAN/chipset drivers?
After installing the chipset driver, I am seeing the speeds drop down a lot more even to 2 ghz sometimes. It is still hovering mostly around 4.2 ghz, but it is definitely an improvement. All of the cores are around the same. I am still trying to understand why the avx offset (even after the fresh install) affects how much of the processor is being used at all times...

Viorala

Reputable
May 20, 2019
This is normal, the mobos turbo boost the tenth gen CPUs. In windows power options change the minimum processer state to 20 percent. Some even do five percent. This will put you at 800 GHz while idle, with just some spiking to 4800 - 5200.

I probably meant MHz.

elk123

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
This is normal, the mobos turbo boost the tenth gen CPUs. In windows power options change the minimum processer state to 20 percent. Some even do five percent. This will put you at 800 GHz while idle, with just some spiking to 4800 - 5200.

I probably meant MHz.
but that's the problem, still. I am not getting anything near 800ghz. While browsing, I am at 4 ghz and when completely idle it just around a bit, sometimes going as low as 2 ghz, but mostly staying around 4 ghz (and that is only because I offset the speed by .6 ghz)

Viorala

Reputable
May 20, 2019
There are threads that have tackled this. Look for "i,91085k thermal throttling. Inadequate cooling or bad silicone?"
And..
"CPU overclocked....?"

There are more listed below in 'similar threads'.

but that's the problem, still. I am not getting anything near 800ghz. While browsing, I am at 4 ghz and when completely idle it just around a bit, sometimes going as low as 2 ghz, but mostly staying around 4 ghz (and that is only because I offset the speed by .6 ghz)
When you install windows you then need to install ALL of you motherboard device drivers. Chipset/ethernet/sound/wireless/usb etc......
The first day or so windows will download and install windows updates and drivers in the background.
So your computer is not really IDLE until it finishes all windows updates and driver updates if you did not install them.

As stated above if you want very low idle speeds go into windows power options and choose balanced or power saver. Then choose change power settings, then choose change advanced power settings and scroll down to processor power management and set minimum power to 5%.
A fresh install of windows will take a little while before the OS will actually be at IDLE.

elk123

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
Yeah you didn't read my comment and I thought you were responding to it, that was the only other way your response made sense.

Calm down and read thru the thread again. The answers are right in front of your face.
I'm pretty calm about all this...I have read all the answers and tried all the suggestions. The situation is much better after reinstalling windows and the drivers, but it still not ideal.

TRENDING THREADS