New I'm a PC Ad: Windows 7 Was Your Idea

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tlmck

Distinguished
[citation][nom]amdgamer666[/nom]This was that commercial that somebody thought they heard a girl in it drop the f-bomb and posted an article about it.http://www.ofzenandcomputing.com/zanswers/2608Personally, I just don't hear it.[/citation]
OMFG! She's an F-bomber! Send her to GITMO immediately!

mac_angel

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
sorry, Win2000 was the leanest and meanest. Didn't have all that bull crap to make it look all pretty. It's an OS and does just that. You want something to look pretty then you can add it yourself. 1GB install VS, 16GB install? If I could have DX10 or DX11 on Win2000 I'd still be using it.

tlmck

Distinguished
[citation][nom]foody[/nom]I preferred the commercial of the man showing his home setup and how he could stream his movies and music to several different systems in his house. It's nice that an OS commercial actually talks about features for once.[/citation]
Ah, if it only worked like it does on TV.

tlmck

Distinguished
[citation][nom]mac_angel[/nom]sorry, Win2000 was the leanest and meanest. Didn't have all that bull crap to make it look all pretty. It's an OS and does just that. You want something to look pretty then you can add it yourself. 1GB install VS, 16GB install? If I could have DX10 or DX11 on Win2000 I'd still be using it.[/citation]
Very well said! Still have 2000 Pro running on a machine to play some old games with. It blazes on a lowly Celeron 420. Certainly faster than anything out today. But alas, MS had to kill it to keep the cash registers ringing.

tlmck

Distinguished
[citation][nom]notreallymyidea[/nom]If Windows 7 was really my idea, then where's the up-one-level button?! Also, where's the open source code and/or my payment for helping?[/citation]
I think MS should give a free copy of Win 7 Ultimate to all who bought Vista as a way of saying they're sorry. They could take the money out of Bill G's bank account since he was the big driver behind Vista, at least according to Ballmer.

tlmck

Distinguished
I do not care much for MS ads, except for Kylie. That kid is gonna kick some serious butt when she gets older. She is already doing pretty well.

This articles author, Jane McEntegart, also kicks butt IMO.

grimlin88

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
i will start off syaing I do not like windows 7 for me it doesnt feel as fluid to work with as that of vista sp1 and up.I am a I.T networker so i get to play with lots of diffrent operating systems and what they say bout it been easier to operate and understand is a complete lie and i feel for the technically challeneged user that wants for example to share a folder on their network its just not user friendly. I hope it does become great after a few more drivers are perfected and microsoft address the main issues but at the moment i am disgusted at what the new windows is all about. I will be sticking to my windows vista 64bit SP2 for until windows 7 surpasses it as it jus so rock solid and the peformance and functionality is exactly what i want frm a os.

akitosh

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
Notreallymyidea, this is mostly a response to your comments. The up one level button was removed so that people like you wouldn't figure out that alt+up does the same thing. Not to get any wrath from the linux followers here since I use suse almost exclusively outside of gaming, but making windows open source would be the worst decision microsoft could ever made. With linux, we have a small enough community of smart people who know how to fix most of the bugs (since the program and install base is smaller) and there aren't enough adopters for these issues to become media fodder like things do with windows os'. If the adoption rate for linux OS was the same as windows, we would have alot more problems. Likewise, if the next version of windows were open source, it would be a disaster. Lastly, we aren't getting paid because Microsoft is simply following by example. Do you really think novel or apple would send you a check for fixing one of their issues or beta testing their software? Ha. They're more likely to take the credit for themselves.

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
[citation][nom]amdgamer666[/nom]This was that commercial that somebody thought they heard a girl in it drop the f-bomb and posted an article about it.http://www.ofzenandcomputing.com/zanswers/2608Personally, I just don't hear it.[/citation]

Sounds like that girl said, "Abso-f*in-lutely"
She actually says, "Abso-frickin'-lutely"

Airey

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
Compare to the Apple ad, just speaking of advertisement quality, they have alot of catching up to do in terms of creativity.

geoffs

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007
First MS ad I've liked in a few years. Good job. It's completely devoid of any information, but it's a good ad.

I still think they need to get a sense of humor, but that'll never happen as long as Ballmer's in charge.

Well I can guarantee you that none of the Windows OS's were my idea. With all its issues including viruses I wouldn't want something like this and if it was made for me take it back because it isn't right.

JimmiG

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2008
The Windows7 ads sure are a lot more colorful and optimistic than the Apple ads. Surely that must be a better way to sell your product, especially in these uncertain times.

The Apple ads, regardless of whether you think there's some truth in them or not, are depressive, cynical and pessimistic.

Drag0nR1der

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2007
on a random note... just noticed MS broke their own EULA when they had their windows 7 launch. The EULA clearly states you may stream content to no more than 5 media centre extenders or devices which perform a similar function at one time.... how many different 'experiences' did Ben have running, I think it was 18... tut tut Microsoft.

Drag0nR1der

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2007
on a random note... just noticed MS broke their own EULA when they had their windows 7 launch. Just installing now and the EULA clearly states you may stream content to no more than 5 media centre extenders or devices which perform a similar function at one time.... how many different 'experiences' did Ben have running, I think it was 18... tut tut Microsoft.

Drag0nR1der

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2007
[citation][nom]ahnilated[/nom]Well I can guarantee you that none of the Windows OS's were my idea. With all its issues including viruses I wouldn't want something like this and if it was made for me take it back because it isn't right.[/citation]

Huh, MS didn't make the viruses and include them in the OS installs... the idiot (I say that, but I couldn't do what they do) hackers who made the virus did... if you were dumb enough to let them infect you... well, your fault really

Drag0nR1der

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2007
[citation][nom]Airey[/nom]Compare to the Apple ad, just speaking of advertisement quality, they have alot of catching up to do in terms of creativity.[/citation]

If you mean that MS has a lot of catching up to do... are you joking?

Drag0nR1der

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2007
[citation][nom]tlmck[/nom]I think MS should give a free copy of Win 7 Ultimate to all who bought Vista as a way of saying they're sorry. They could take the money out of Bill G's bank account since he was the big driver behind Vista, at least according to Ballmer.[/citation]

I'd rather Bill Gates (just four letters, was it so hard?) kept his money so he can keep putting plenty of it in to his charity and helping people who really need help, not ones who are just having a few technical problems (which is strange, because I ran in to very few issues with vista, although i did have hardware and software that wasn't over 5 years old)

mcreskiller

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
OMG! an ad that tells the truth? apple could learn to stop lieing.... like COMEON! this ad speaks the truth, I got my retail copy of windows 7 a few hours ago and im going to be installing it later and truefully i can't WAIT! i have the beta on a desktop and its amazing.

Apple ads are full of lies and stuff.. and my friend is even thinking of going back he HATES his mbp, it constantly kernal panics

marraco

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2007
i don´t understand a word of spoken English,

sadly, it looks like do not exist one subtitled.

I still hate win7 being incapable of allowing you to select more than 15 files in windows explorer, and telling you how many bytes they take... or right click that group and open all the files. I ranted a lot on microsoft feedback site about it, but MS ignored it completely, and released 7600 anyway, It does not look at all like "i made it".

The only thing that MS did after my rants was to explicit on his web page that only the most expensive versions of 7 support virtual windows xp mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.