New I'm a PC Ad: Windows 7 Was Your Idea

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
I agree with the folks that like Windows 2000. I still use it to this day, and never warmed up to the bloated Windows XP, and the even more bloated Windows Vista.

Some Oriental kid isn't going to change the fact Microsoft seems to add things just to add them. I'll try Windows 7, but not because of this commercial. It's actually pretty gay. Anyone who would take credit for anything Microsoft does is setting himself for disappointing a lot of people. I guess in the sense everyone screamed out how Vista sucked, there was some feedback. But, let's be honest, Microsoft is a screwed company. They have to validate new releases being useful, but, really, everything important had long ago been added to operating systems and office software, and their in a really difficult situation where they have to make something seem useful, and needed, when we've survived without it for a long, long time. They can't just make good software that is fast, reliable, and just works the way we want. That's for service packs, and doesn't get them more money. They need to add new features, and convince us we need it. If we did, how did we last this long without it? Most of the cosmetic changes truly suck too. No one I know uses the new XP interface, and always goes back to the classic look. No one I know uses Vista at all, which is probably more damning.

So, it's easy to bash their products, because they generally do suck, but, in their position, it's really, really difficult. It's not about creating a good product anymore, they did that up to Windows 2000. Since then, we've had what we needed. Now they have to add stuff they know we don't need, and convince us we do. Competition with your enemy is much easier than competing with your old software that did everything fine. And software doesn't wear out (Microsoft tries with DX releases that don't support previous versions), so it's not easy for them.

But, they still make a ton of money, even with lowering sales, so I don't think we should feel too bad for them. And think of all the pain and suffering they've created with their horrible software. How about IE 8? It's painful to go through all the damn messages and warnings. Yes, you can turn many off, but how many people know how to do this? How about that stupid message that is reversed from IE 7, where it asks you if you only want to view secure data? Who thought this was a good idea???? It confuses almost everyone, as they answer it as they always have, and get the opposite result. How does this stuff pass quality control???? How did the manage to make people pay more when buying a PC, because THEIR OS was so bad people wanted the previous version? Does that sound fair?

But, at least Microsoft is in decay, which is good. The market isn't fast, but it isn't totally stupid either. Their bad browsers are losing market share, and their showing lower sales for the first time. They still make money hands over fist, but, at least they see the market won't just accept their products because they make them. Bing is a good effort. Windows 7 is supposed to be (I haven't tried it), so maybe a bloody nose is what they needed. Intel sure did well since the Pentium 4. Maybe Microsoft will.

tempelife

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2009
Their is nothing wrong with bashing competition if your claims can be substantiated and your house is clean. Apple loses on both fronts.

After you bash, you must give data how and why you can differentiate yourself in a better way. I don't see it.

Apple has beyond hypocritical. They whined to MS that their commercial showed that their laptops where too expensive. If I was MS, I would have paid for triple the air time instead they backed down. I advertisting the truth is out of bounds or something like that. Then, Apple proceeds to run more virulent commercials lacking any real merit.

Vista bashing really worked for Apple. Ironically, with all the Vista haters that would probably never pay for Apple anyway ended up helping Apple. Competition is usually good for the consumer, but Apple employs so many anti-consumer tactics that they should not be supported in any manner. The first is stifling free speach on their message boards. Complain about an Apple product and your message disappears. I refuse to buy an iPhone (use Blackberry Bold), iPod (use Creative Labs - way more for the money too), iTunes (ahhh, I won't tell you were I go for music, LOL), Macs (built a RAID 10 w/ Quad Core OC'd at 3.6GHZ for way less money), etc. I WILL NOT support APPLE unless they change their behavior, but not likely to happen.

So, what was wrong with Vista? It was released tooooo early. O.K. get SP1, problem solved. Vista was the BEST and most revolutionary OS MS released since Winows 2000. Vista crushes XP. I'm tired of hearing that XP is faster. It Should be. DOS is faster than XP and the same computer. Duh. Successive generations in general will be slower on the same computer. That is the whole point to buy faster hardware, so more powerful capabilites can be written into OS's and Software. The advancement of hardware is much quicker than that of Software or OS's, thus overall speed should improve. If you're still using a single core 32-bit that was mainstream years ago when purchased, that's fine because it's your budget, but what do you expect? When I use to drive a $1000 junker, I didn't think that I should have quiet like BMW ride with the power of a Dodge Viper. I was happy if I could drive 5000 miles before it needed a repair.

Every blogger and website just went for the jugular. Yet to this day, I never see substantiated claims of why Vista is so bad. Compatiblity? Is it MS's fault that large manufactureres like nVidia can't get drivers done in a timely manner. Apple's best OS has never had a tenth of the compatibility as MS's worst OS.

So Vista rocked. It is sad how it was so unfairly twisted. Windows 7 looks nice (haven't time to install), but really it is a mild improvement and everyone now raves about it. It does show how important a first impression is, but also how sheep love to agree with the heard.

At least the Apple article was just reporting news instead of being journalistically irresponsible. I just hope Tom gets back what most of want. I remember when there used to be comparison reviews galore. Now, it is so much less common. I'm getting tired of seeing Apple best blah blah blah ever when it is flat out not true.

tanderskey

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2009
i guess the ad is alright. but nothing great. might as well be an ad for Splenda though. i do love the music but i still have to mark MS down a notch for being derivative. that "i'm a mac and i'm a pc" is what apple started and to have MS using it seems a bit ... well ... lazy from the perspective of fresh advertising for their fresh new OS.

anyone remember the ads with Bill Gates and Jerry Seinfeld? i thought those were both ... original ... and cool ... and all MS's own.

Status
Not open for further replies.