New iMac Could Boost Apple's Flagging Desktop Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
Their desktop sales are probably being cannibalized by their mobile sales, the same as the rest of the industry. I doubt a new model or Win8 will affect their desktop sales much, especially in the current economy.

jecastej

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
[citation][nom]bllue[/nom]At least $600 too expensive[/citation]

Each LED IPS panel will be individually color calibrated to match world standards and also these are style-computers. Those are premium features and will increase the price. I think they may tempt photographers or videographer aficionados, or some CAD and graphic artists and professionals looking for an affordable hi end consumer solution. For a dedicated workstation PC look else where. But these are not intended either as the ultimate professional PCs. However lets find out how good or accurate the screen will be.

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]bllue[/nom]At least $600 too expensive[/citation]

I personally wouldn't buy it, but show me any alternative machine that meets similar design and specs of this for $600 less.

panini

Honorable
May 7, 2012
For once it can be configured with a GTX 680 (but at a cost).

At least they're giving enthusiasts who want OS X the option to also play demanding games when they dual boot to windows. I don't think there's any game this computer can't handle.

Literally the only con I can think of is price.

My understanding is that the new line moves from SB to IB which is not a huge increase in performance, and the GPU moves from nVidia to Intel's HD4000 which is SLOWER than the previous version... that is not progress!

SSD is a nice addition though. And good riddance to the CD/DVD drive.

aicom

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
[citation][nom]caedenv[/nom]My understanding is that the new line moves from SB to IB which is not a huge increase in performance, and the GPU moves from nVidia to Intel's HD4000 which is SLOWER than the previous version... that is not progress!SSD is a nice addition though. And good riddance to the CD/DVD drive.[/citation]
It ships stock with a GT 650M (on the 23.5-inch model) and a GTX 660M (on the 27-inch model). The 27-inch model is also upgradable to a GTX 680MX (which is a more powerful version of the 680M). It's hardly lacking spec-wise on any front, especially for an AIO.

pacomac

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012
Whoever is ripping off these articles should check the validity of the content rather than posting verbos! This new iMac comes as a core i7 as well as core i5, surely this should have been mentioned! This article was also posted on iPhone Hacks a couple of days ago! In fact nearly all the Apple news is recycled news from other web sites. Someone is getting lazy... And taking credit for others work.

fleeb

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2007
[citation][nom]jecastej[/nom]Each LED IPS panel will be individually color calibrated to match world standards and also these are style-computers.[/citation]

What is world standards and what are style-computers? Also, if you are into photography, you just need something like the NEC PA271W and not necessarily the whole package.

john_4

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012
[citation][nom]cookoy[/nom]it's thin. i'd be worried about proper cooling if the cpu and gpu loads get high.[/citation]
I hear you and it's always best to never buy a new computer design or OS until it has been out for at least a couple months.

[citation][nom]jecastej[/nom]I think they may tempt photographers or videographer aficionados, or some CAD and graphic artists and professionals looking for an affordable hi end consumer solution.[/citation]
Yes, because photographers, graphic artists, and so forth love nothing more than having a glossy sheet of glass on their screens... :sarcastic:

jdamon113

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
how about a simple desktop like the quick silver.
apple just want to tell you what you need, as to give options. Just bought a hp workstation for work.
Its kills every apple in its path.

jecastej

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
[citation][nom]fleeb[/nom]What is world standards and what are style-computers? Also, if you are into photography, you just need something like the NEC PA271W and not necessarily the whole package.[/citation]

I did not intended to get into a specific technicality about color representation but anyway:

1. For world color standards there are many for video and for printers. Professional monitors are more accurate and consistent in color representation and they also work in different color gamma, luminosity or white point. A typical consumer IPS panel may represent 72% of the AdobeRGB 1998 standard, witch is a world color standard. A higher end professional or even commercial monitor may be closer to a 100%, and even surpass that standard. Another standard to measure color deviation, the color that is presented and the color that should be represented by the screen is Delta E. The lower the better and is accepted that a color deviation lower than 2 is almost impossible to differentiate by the eye. But there are many standards.

But a good monitor for a printer job may not be that good for video editing because they are calibrated with different standards, actually very different. These standards are word standards because if a client needs to reproduce lets say a company color, a specific Pantone color, they want the color to be consistent world wide and ideally it should be achieved independently of the device or material used to reproduce de intended image.

Apple is promising an individual color calibration (factory calibration out of the box) with every new iMac using 3 high end spectroradiometers. This is not entirely new, I have a 24 IPS panel from Dell that is calibrated out of the box using 2 color standards, but I don't know waht tools they used. And this Dell monitor is considered and entry level professional monitor and I payed more because I work with color reproduction and I need that. Higher end professional monitors from NEC or HP are over $2K or $4K. So again you wont expect these new iMacs will compete with those pro monitors. But the point is for smaller studios, even medium ones and for enthusiasts a decent monitor color calibrated is very attractive because it means the monitor is usable for professional work out of the box without the need to do the calibration yourself and the extra cost of buying good software and hardware tools.

Considering Apple has a long experience with graphic design specifics, has its own color calibration systems and has a long tradition with good color accuracy I personally expect these iMacs to be very well received by graphic studios, photographers or independent creatives.

2. For a style-computer I referred to a device that goes beyond its simple use or function. I mean a computer form that is not a mere box to put components inside. And Apple pays very close attention to use the form on all its devices as another very strong quality, but this increase the cost. If you chose a computer case with a specific style you may be willing to pay much more for that feature as that is pleasant, important or useful to you beyond the simple function it has. The iMac is an all in one computer made from brushed aluminum intended to simplify its use and even attempt to be desired or ideal.

jecastej

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
[citation][nom]Old_Fogie_Late_Bloomer[/nom]Yes, because photographers, graphic artists, and so forth love nothing more than having a glossy sheet of glass on their screens...[/citation]

Nope, you are wrong on that. There is a difference and it has a lot to do with all the technology used to provide the color and gamma accuracy.

Believe me the display accuracy matters as much in visual professionals as sound does with a home theater production studio and all the Dolby, 5.1, HD or other sound production and reproduction standards.

Just imagine you are working in a video game and you are trying very hard to create a character look just to present your work on your boss different computer and see it all changed. You not only need that color accuracy for your own work but for your team and colleagues, and finally you dream every person will appreciate your dedication on every device people play your game.

jecastej

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
[citation][nom]Old_Fogie_Late_Bloomer[/nom]Yes, because photographers, graphic artists, and so forth love nothing more than having a glossy sheet of glass on their screens...[/citation]

Apple claims the new iMacs screen offers 75% less reflection if that is your concern.

apone

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2011
I might be confused about this iMac's utility but why would you need quad-core CPU horsepower and nVidia Kepler graphics for Facebook, iTunes, web browsing, and email?

Status
Not open for further replies.