Question New iMac for 3D Printing and sound, old imac for Adobe CS3?

Aug 8, 2021
I have had a 2012 imac running Lion and Premiere CS3 hiccups on it but still works. I upgraded RAM to 32 GB and thought myself clever for a minute. I use CS3 offline in Lion since I can't afford $50 a month for Creative Cloud. Adobe has priced me out increasingly on being able to format my resume in Acrobat and edit video in Premiere or images in Photoshop. I have Adobe Master Collection CS3 on discs and have been running them on an offline partition in OSX Lion somewhat crankily for a few years now. I kept Lion on one partition and upgraded to El Capitan on the main boot volume. Didn't use El Capitan much except to print with my wireless printer. Didn't like El Capitan. I need Premiere and Acrobat CS3 on an older partition as much as I need to print wirelessly. I use offline drives to move image files and PDFs to the partition that can access the printer.

I also have a Macbook Air that is running Mojave mostly fine with just the occasional slow down. I wonder if I want to install Ableton and Autodesk software on it or just use it to record in Audacity and Garageband and get a new imac to edit sound and 3d on.

I also just bought a Dremel 3D45 printer and an Akai MPK keyboard controller. These would like a new partition with an up to date operating system, I think.

Then I tried to upgrade my main imac boot volume to High Sierra and now have a broken partition that won't complete the upgrade from El Capitan to High Sierra. This machine also has a photo drive I am hoping to save.

I have a backup drive that I think has a disc image of the Lion drive and a disc image of the photos drive. I have never restored from backup before I'm not sure what will happen.

I also have Snow Leopard on a CD install disc. Good times. Premiere ran happiest on Snow Leopard. I fear licensing hiccups telling me I have Photoshop on too many partitions and offline drives and it won't start.

A family member offered to buy me a new machine that would be running Catalina. This sounds great for running Ableton and 3D printer software, bad for running Adobe Premiere and Photoshop CS3.

Possible plans:
1. New computer and make a harddrive partition on the new computer to try to install an older version of OSX, either by Snow Leopard disc or attempting to get an installer on a thumb drive, but I tried to save High Sierra to thumb drive on my laptop in Yosemite and it said the installer on thumb drive was a corrupt installer and wouldn't run. and reinstall Master Collection CS3 on the offline older partition. I do not know if I can get to High Sierra on an older partition.

2. New computer and keep the old imac on the desk next door and muck about with it some more trying to revive my Lion drive.

3. New computer and try to restore from disc image on a separate partition.

4. There is one repair guy in town who might repair the old imac and help me with my upgrade. Last time I brought a computer to him he referred me to an assistant for mac repairs. The assistant left town so either he got a new employee or he doesn't do macs anymore. The Genius Bar is like two hours away and my senior family members can't get me to an Apple Store.

I dunno, what would you all do in 2021?
How do I get to stabile professional studio functioning from here to make branding graphics, video, music, and 3D prints?

Aug 8, 2021
Maybe you mean just Photoshop and Lightroom? Acrobat to edit a graphic resume is $14.99 and all of them to creative new resume layouts in InDesign and edit video in Premiere is $50 a month, temporarily down to $40. To replace my discs would be expensive I think. So I want to use them offline. No more updates coming for Lion and El Capitan, no local repairs, but the hardware is still good if only I could stabilize the booting partition.

https://www.adobe.com/creativecloud..._RE-T9R5DEPvFfuH1NgWNOColNnLpgTxoCjq8QAvD_BwE