News New Jersey Pleas for COBOL Coders for Mainframes Amid Coronavirus Pandemic

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Fair enough... except even the local papers are increasingly infested with borderline political operatives. The articles in my local paper were as tilted as any of the big dogs.... both in what they cover, and what they REFUSE to cover.
Sadly, a lot of papers are getting bought up by private equity firms, who are basically just sucking the remaining life out of them and ultimately driving them out of business even faster.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Sadly, a lot of papers are getting bought up by private equity firms, who are basically just sucking the remaining life out of them and ultimately driving them out of business even faster.
While true, that occurred well after political activism (often of a state or national level) really started kicking into high gear for (some? most?) local papers. Not trying to say that was causative, I think the rise of social media damaged papers more than anything. Just saying that in my case, the local paper largely became the smaller non-local media rag well before they started changing hands. They also all but ceased doing real reporting and breaking stories, preferring to put their spin on things they read about, and print it a day or so late.

Apr 8, 2020
This Cobol stuff really cracks me up. I used to code Cobol, being trained in AT&Ts IT training group in Piscataway, NJ. That was back in the 70's. It was too easy for me, and I hated Corporate BS, so I was an Independent consultant for over 20 years until 9/11 blew apart my business. Went f/t after that until I retired several years ago. I last worked with Cobol only several years ago, just before retirement. Do you know PeopleSoft has a Cobol back end? Yup. Its the guts of the Payroll system. No other language can handle array loads so efficiently.
Now, PL/1 was my first coding language and the one that I knew best in the M/F world. There was a poster earlier mentioned that 370s were the first M/F to be introduced. Well, there was a predecessor, the 360. Talking about security and hacking, the CS majors at my college, Rutgers, hacked the sheet out of Rutger's m/f. This is the code, I remember it do this day...

Do I = 1 to -255 by -1;
put substr(a, 1, i );
end;
a was declared varchar(255)

The entire memory of the system would spit out from the 360. We saw program code, userids, passwords, accounts, jcl, you name it flash on out TSO monitors. Except it wasn't TSO, It was the precursor, forgot what it was called.

Either way, let Murphy and his Law hire me for 1 week. Maybe it will help me pay the $18k annual property taxes on my house in Hunterdon county.

Reactions: bit_user
Apr 8, 2020
There's no way they're running a 50-year-old mainframe. Fake news headline. Sad to see.
Not fake news. Mainframes have been around for well over 60+ years. I have a colleague who retired telling me that my old COBOL programs are still running on mainframes in Syracuse NY supporting POS (Point Of Sale) scanning systems in 300+ supermarkets, sending out price changes weekly and sending out complete files for new scanning supermarket stores.

Apr 8, 2020
The IBM 370/165 was released in 1970, making it 50 years old, not 40.
I worked on many starting in 1971.
IBM had System/360 mainframes in the 60's. Ran DOS, DOS/VS, DOS/VSE, OS, to name a few. I was trained in a vocational-technical school in Western Pennsylvania back in the late 60's on IBM System/360 model 30's and model 20's. I wrote programs in Assembler, COBOL, RPG, Fortran, PL/1 & Basic languages.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Agree with what others have said here about $55 to $85 an hour being not at all impressive given the context. Assuming we're talking about people working as contractors billing those rates. Being a contractor billing $85/hour is very different than being an employee making $85/hour.

TRENDING THREADS