[SOLVED] New laptop but the performance does not feel proper

lesinos

Commendable
Nov 12, 2021
Hey guys, I have bought a new laptop 3 days ago and it does seem to run smoothly but I feel like the performance should be better. Firstly, the specs:
Asus TUF Gaming F15
  • Windows 10 Pro
  • RTX 3050 + Intel UHD Graphics
  • Intel i5-11400h 2.7-4.5Ghz
  • 16GB RAM 3200Mhz
  • 512GB SSD
  • 144Hz Adaptive SYNC refresh rate
While playing CS:GO I have ~50% GPU usage and ~30-40% CPU usage on the highest settings.
While playing The Witcher 3 on Ultra I get average 54 FPS with ~40% GPU usage. It just feels strange.
I used RivaTunerStatistics to get the numbers.
But the real thing that seems strange to me that my friend on his also new laptop with i5-10300h and gtx1650ti 16gb ram 2666Mhz gets more fps. I don't want to seem like a bad person but if my specs are better shouldn't the performance be better as well? (the difference is about 20-30 fps)
I have the latest drivers installed and the nvidia program settings for csgo are set to use the rtx3050.
Should I really be worried about the GPU usage and the difference in fps? I also noticed that sometimes I get drops from 120 to 90 or 140 to 100 which also looks weird to me. What are the possible reasons behind that?

Looking forward to answers and thank you for your time guys.

Solution
It is a choice, you let the cpu and it's hd graphics do all the jobs at once, or you use the cpu to do the work, and the Nvidia gpu to do the video work. Using the Gpu does not slow down your cpu it can actually make it run better because the cpu does not have to carry the video work also. If you can access system/cpu cooling fans I would turn them up as high as possible during gaming. You can also download MSI Afterburner and overclock your gpu a little bit, and it may let you change the fan speeds on the gpu cooler. Just open the settings tab in Afterburner and look for fan tab, see if you can control the gpu fan speed. You can also try using high performance windows power setting while gaming, it can give your cpu more of a boost.

lesinos

Commendable
Nov 12, 2021
Go to Device manager, dispaly adapter and make sure you are using the Nvidia gpu and not the Intel hd graphics to run your games.
So I opened the device manager but I don't know what to check further... sorry for the incompetence. I do, however, have rtx3050 set to be used in graphics settings on csgo and in nvidia panel and nothing changed.

lesinos

Commendable
Nov 12, 2021
Also what is your screen resolution and your friends pc resolution are they the same?
He play at 4:3 but we checked our results when we both had 16:9 1920:1080.
I disabled intel UHD graphics completely from device manager and my whole desktop changed its size but in CS:GO i got better results: GPU usage went to 60-80% levels the temp is at 86C, however the CPU usage did not go higher than 35% sticking on average to 30% and having 91C temp. The FPS got from average 150 to average 195 and therefore the drops were lower, acceptable for me. However after disabling intel UHD Graphics I feel like the system runs slower, which can be an obvious thing but I do not understand the dynamis in my laptop. Shouldn't the UHD work in system and easy tasks and the dedicated GPU in games and heavy programs? If so, how can i optimize it? Nevertheless thank you for your time because finally I boosted the performance, however I do not want to use my laptop with a disabled UHD graphics because it seems to me that it should be used somehow. Let me know if I think correctly.

It is a choice, you let the cpu and it's hd graphics do all the jobs at once, or you use the cpu to do the work, and the Nvidia gpu to do the video work. Using the Gpu does not slow down your cpu it can actually make it run better because the cpu does not have to carry the video work also. If you can access system/cpu cooling fans I would turn them up as high as possible during gaming. You can also download MSI Afterburner and overclock your gpu a little bit, and it may let you change the fan speeds on the gpu cooler. Just open the settings tab in Afterburner and look for fan tab, see if you can control the gpu fan speed. You can also try using high performance windows power setting while gaming, it can give your cpu more of a boost.

Solution