New Laptop...

Justin9000

Honorable
May 9, 2016
Hey

I am looking forward to buy a new laptop and the things that I intend to do are mostly gaming, app development and penetration testing. So a couple of specs I would like :

processor with a 9th gen i7 / 9th gen i9
GPU with GTX 10xx / RTX 20xx
RAM 8gb or higher

or is this too much? Can anyone please suggest a good laptop for me? Also is there a website where I can choose the specs and it shows a laptop closest to the specs that are chosen?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
newegg.com has one of the most comprehensive filtered searches for computer configurations. Usually what I do to narrow down at least a general price range and feature set.

At those hardware levels you are only likely to find systems with 16GB or more memory.

Typically, people go with cost first, then specs. If price is no object, then you can just search for computers with that hardware in them. You've left out screen/laptop size, battery life, storage.

The larger models are likely to have better cooling capacity.

Justin9000

Honorable
May 9, 2016
newegg.com has one of the most comprehensive filtered searches for computer configurations. Usually what I do to narrow down at least a general price range and feature set.

At those hardware levels you are only likely to find systems with 16GB or more memory.

Typically, people go with cost first, then specs. If price is no object, then you can just search for computers with that hardware in them. You've left out screen/laptop size, battery life, storage.

The larger models are likely to have better cooling capacity.

16GB ram is fine
anything for storage is fine
the laptop size would be 15inch cause for portability

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
15" machines are likely to not do so well with an i7/i9 and a high end GPU. How big were you wanting to go with that.

Cost is still the most important factor here. Anything from $800 to $4000 is possible with your vague part selection.

Justin9000

Honorable
May 9, 2016
15" machines are likely to not do so well with an i7/i9 and a high end GPU. How big were you wanting to go with that.

Cost is still the most important factor here. Anything from $800 to $4000 is possible with your vague part selection.

oh okay.
what's the best specs for a 15 inch?
I'll check the link you've provided.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Best? That would take some research. Would need to look around, but probably something with an RTX 2080 Max-Q GPU. Might be some silly machines out there with desktop processors and MXM graphics cards. You would be looking at several thousand dollars.

Readily available 9th generation hardware is going to have to come from the OEMs like Dell.

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/gam...top/spd/g-series-15-7590-laptop/gnvcb5cr716ps

Looks like you can swap in an RTX2060 for $100.

You'll find more 8th gen CPUs with high end graphics as well.

Maximum performance is going to come from large workstation replacements from vendors like ASUS, MSI, and Gigabyte. Pretty big gap between ultrabooks that are portable and high end mobile gaming systems. Limitations on the power bricks and battery life start to get more difficult to deal with.

Justin9000

Honorable
May 9, 2016
Looks like they are still making them:

https://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np9176-clevo-p775tm1-g-12545.html?startcustomization=1

Full desktop class i9-9900k and up to a RTX2080 (not Max-Q)

9900k, 32GB of DDR4 3000Mhz, 1TB SSD, Windows, and the premium thermal compound for the CPU, came to around $3200.

A thick bastard, more like a laptop of yesteryear.

Sounds cool.
Ok last question ... should i go for :
8th gen i7 with RTX 2080
OR
9th gen i7 with RTX 2070
OR
8th gen i7 with RTX 2070

I don't want a bottleneck that's why...

Last edited:

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
None of those configurations would be considered a bottleneck. Fastest CPUs mixed with the fastest GPUs...

If your primary purpose is games, than the 2080 will last longer than a 2070. Though in laptops it is hard to say if it is worth it. That comes down to the cooling.

9th gen CPU certainly have the clock speed advantage. So if your app development requires serious compile time that additional frequency on the base clock should come in handy, and having the maximum boost reach 4.5Ghz is pretty impressive for a laptop chip. 9MB vs 12MB cache as well.

Justin9000

Honorable
May 9, 2016
None of those configurations would be considered a bottleneck. Fastest CPUs mixed with the fastest GPUs...

If your primary purpose is games, than the 2080 will last longer than a 2070. Though in laptops it is hard to say if it is worth it. That comes down to the cooling.

9th gen CPU certainly have the clock speed advantage. So if your app development requires serious compile time that additional frequency on the base clock should come in handy, and having the maximum boost reach 4.5Ghz is pretty impressive for a laptop chip. 9MB vs 12MB cache as well.

OK , thanks man !!