New Laptop...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim

I am specing out a new notebook, and can't decide what to buy. I have
a £1,500 budget. I currently use a Tecra M2 (have always used Tecras)
with a XGA resolution of 1024 x 768. The spec of the notebook is no
problem, but now I am starting to get annoyed with the screen, with
XGA you just can't get much on there. I am considering switching to
SXGA 1400 x 1050 - or similar.

I am an IT guy but also travel, so 14" is plenty It should also be
reasonably light. I have been looking at IBM Thinkpads, but the SXGA
model of the T42 is around the £1,900 mark - too much. So I have been
researching and the Sony Vaio S2XP is thought highly of, but this is
13.3" widescreen (also 1.9 Kgs). I haven't used a WS before on a
notebook......and the resolution is WXGA 1280 x 800. Is this
resolution comparable with SXGA or XGA? Has any used this VAIO?

I bought a Tecra with SXGA on it two years ago and the screen was
blurry - quite hard to read, but with new graphics adapters like the
Rad 9000 I think they are pretty good - it seems both the T42 SXGA and
the above mentioned VAIO have very clear and crisp screens -
particularly the Sony with their new X Black screen (or whatever it is
called!).

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

I would say if you've got the money, go for the Thinkpad, but then I would.
However, if you can put up with Sony's notorious customer relationship, then
consider the Z1 series (though you'll have to find the modern equivalent) -
when I was shopping around this one was around £1500 with similar specs to
my T40, but with an SXGA screen. Sounds perfect for you...

Duncan.

"Jim" <benprice@zoom.co.uk> wrote in message
>I am specing out a new notebook, and can't decide what to buy. I have
> a £1,500 budget. I currently use a Tecra M2 (have always used Tecras)
> with a XGA resolution of 1024 x 768. The spec of the notebook is no
> problem, but now I am starting to get annoyed with the screen, with
> XGA you just can't get much on there. I am considering switching to
> SXGA 1400 x 1050 - or similar.
>
> I am an IT guy but also travel, so 14" is plenty It should also be
> reasonably light. I have been looking at IBM Thinkpads, but the SXGA
> model of the T42 is around the £1,900 mark - too much. So I have been
> researching and the Sony Vaio S2XP is thought highly of, but this is
> 13.3" widescreen (also 1.9 Kgs). I haven't used a WS before on a
> notebook......and the resolution is WXGA 1280 x 800. Is this
> resolution comparable with SXGA or XGA? Has any used this VAIO?
>
> I bought a Tecra with SXGA on it two years ago and the screen was
> blurry - quite hard to read, but with new graphics adapters like the
> Rad 9000 I think they are pretty good - it seems both the T42 SXGA and
> the above mentioned VAIO have very clear and crisp screens -
> particularly the Sony with their new X Black screen (or whatever it is
> called!).
>
> Any input would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks

Don't know the price in UK, but I think you may find the HP nc6000
meet your needs. Pentium M, two spindle, long battery life and
available 1400x1050 screen). I use an older model of the same series
(compaq) now and it works fine for me.

Kawah

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 18:43:59 -0000, "Duncan J Murray"
<duncan.murray@remove.this.bit.medical-school.and.this.bit.oxford.ac.uk>
wrote:

>I would say if you've got the money, go for the Thinkpad, but then I would.
>However, if you can put up with Sony's notorious customer relationship, then
>consider the Z1 series (though you'll have to find the modern equivalent) -
>when I was shopping around this one was around £1500 with similar specs to
>my T40, but with an SXGA screen. Sounds perfect for you...
>
>Duncan.
>
>"Jim" <benprice@zoom.co.uk> wrote in message
>>I am specing out a new notebook, and can't decide what to buy. I have
>> a £1,500 budget. I currently use a Tecra M2 (have always used Tecras)
>> with a XGA resolution of 1024 x 768. The spec of the notebook is no
>> problem, but now I am starting to get annoyed with the screen, with
>> XGA you just can't get much on there. I am considering switching to
>> SXGA 1400 x 1050 - or similar.
>>
>> I am an IT guy but also travel, so 14" is plenty It should also be
>> reasonably light. I have been looking at IBM Thinkpads, but the SXGA
>> model of the T42 is around the £1,900 mark - too much. So I have been
>> researching and the Sony Vaio S2XP is thought highly of, but this is
>> 13.3" widescreen (also 1.9 Kgs). I haven't used a WS before on a
>> notebook......and the resolution is WXGA 1280 x 800. Is this
>> resolution comparable with SXGA or XGA? Has any used this VAIO?
>>
>> I bought a Tecra with SXGA on it two years ago and the screen was
>> blurry - quite hard to read, but with new graphics adapters like the
>> Rad 9000 I think they are pretty good - it seems both the T42 SXGA and
>> the above mentioned VAIO have very clear and crisp screens -
>> particularly the Sony with their new X Black screen (or whatever it is
>> called!).
>>
>> Any input would be appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks

Why not considder a T40 or T41 with 1400x1050?

<Kawah Lau> skrev i en meddelelse
> Don't know the price in UK, but I think you may find the HP nc6000
> meet your needs. Pentium M, two spindle, long battery life and
> available 1400x1050 screen). I use an older model of the same series
> (compaq) now and it works fine for me.
>
> Kawah
>
> On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 18:43:59 -0000, "Duncan J Murray"
> <duncan.murray@remove.this.bit.medical-school.and.this.bit.oxford.ac.uk>
> wrote:
>
>>I would say if you've got the money, go for the Thinkpad, but then I
>>would.
>>However, if you can put up with Sony's notorious customer relationship,
>>then
>>consider the Z1 series (though you'll have to find the modern
>>equivalent) -
>>when I was shopping around this one was around £1500 with similar specs to
>>my T40, but with an SXGA screen. Sounds perfect for you...
>>
>>Duncan.
>>
>>"Jim" <benprice@zoom.co.uk> wrote in message
>>>I am specing out a new notebook, and can't decide what to buy. I have
>>> a £1,500 budget. I currently use a Tecra M2 (have always used Tecras)
>>> with a XGA resolution of 1024 x 768. The spec of the notebook is no
>>> problem, but now I am starting to get annoyed with the screen, with
>>> XGA you just can't get much on there. I am considering switching to
>>> SXGA 1400 x 1050 - or similar.
>>>
>>> I am an IT guy but also travel, so 14" is plenty It should also be
>>> reasonably light. I have been looking at IBM Thinkpads, but the SXGA
>>> model of the T42 is around the £1,900 mark - too much. So I have been
>>> researching and the Sony Vaio S2XP is thought highly of, but this is
>>> 13.3" widescreen (also 1.9 Kgs). I haven't used a WS before on a
>>> notebook......and the resolution is WXGA 1280 x 800. Is this
>>> resolution comparable with SXGA or XGA? Has any used this VAIO?
>>>
>>> I bought a Tecra with SXGA on it two years ago and the screen was
>>> blurry - quite hard to read, but with new graphics adapters like the
>>> Rad 9000 I think they are pretty good - it seems both the T42 SXGA and
>>> the above mentioned VAIO have very clear and crisp screens -
>>> particularly the Sony with their new X Black screen (or whatever it is
>>> called!).
>>>
>>> Any input would be appreciated.
>>>
>>> Thanks

Jim

The T42 I would very much like but at 1400 x 1050 it is around the
£1,900. What are peoples feelings on notebooks with 14" screens on XGA
or SXGA?

Jim

A T42 with SXGA is £1,900. XGA is £1,500. What are peoples' feelings
on XGA or SXGA on Notebooks at 14"?

"Mikkel" <nn@nn.dk> wrote in message news:<cof7d7$s0h$1@news.net.uni-c.dk>...
> Why not considder a T40 or T41 with 1400x1050?
>

> <Kawah Lau> skrev i en meddelelse
> > Don't know the price in UK, but I think you may find the HP nc6000
> > meet your needs. Pentium M, two spindle, long battery life and
> > available 1400x1050 screen). I use an older model of the same series
> > (compaq) now and it works fine for me.
> >
> > Kawah
> >
> > On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 18:43:59 -0000, "Duncan J Murray"
> > <duncan.murray@remove.this.bit.medical-school.and.this.bit.oxford.ac.uk>
> > wrote:
> >
> >>I would say if you've got the money, go for the Thinkpad, but then I
> >>would.
> >>However, if you can put up with Sony's notorious customer relationship,
> >>then
> >>consider the Z1 series (though you'll have to find the modern
> >>equivalent) -
> >>when I was shopping around this one was around £1500 with similar specs to
> >>my T40, but with an SXGA screen. Sounds perfect for you...
> >>
> >>Duncan.
> >>
> >>"Jim" <benprice@zoom.co.uk> wrote in message

How can you be sure that someone has looked after it?

Duncan.