Question New Lian Li Evo/ROG Strix z790 wont post/boot ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

javiermaggio

Honorable
Jun 21, 2018
I just built my new computer and I cannot get the thing to turn on. I don't know what I did wrong and I'm completely confused. I have a custom water loop so it's kind of a pain taking apart and putting back together, but I will if I have to. If I use the PSU jumper, the pump fires up and the loop fills. I fill the loop, plug in 24 pin connecter and I can see the motherboard LED come up. I turn on the computer, fans kick on, my ram lights up, and the cpu block lights up, but the pump will not turn on. I wait and wait and the boot screen with "press F2 or Delete" will not appear. I'm obviously missing something here, so I double checked my front panel header. I unplugged it and the whole pc became unresponsive to the case's power button. I plugged it back in, the fans lit back up, and the pc powered up again.

I have a ROG Strix z790 E, Gigabyte Waterforce WB 3080, and a Lian Li Dynamic Evo case. I believe there is a conflict somewhere among these components. I remember my first build, z390 e, would not boot up when my front panel header wires weren't landed correctly, so that's why I started there. The Lian Li case combines all the pins into one "master" front panel plug. There is only way to land it, and the pc won't power up at all without it, so I think that's right. I had my old rig setup with my 3080. The GPU, the pump/reservoir, and the custom cables are the only things that came over from the old build. They all worked 3 days ago when I was playing on my old pc, so I assume they still work, and the GPU leds come on and do effects. When the gpu detects a leak, it flashes red, and that's not happening. So I don't think it's the GPU either. There is a few pins left un-landed on the header, so I'm not sure if that's the problem, but I'm flabbergasted.

Not really sure what to do and the only answers I can come up with are here:
View: https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/sl5pul/lian_li_o11_dynamic_evo_front_panel_connectors/

and here

I'm not sure if these will even help but some of the comments say that it worked, so I just ordered them anyway. If they do work, I'm not sure where to land them on the case. My MB has a nice diagram, but there is nothing in the case manual. I will update this thread if it comes to the cable part, but is there anything I can do in the mean time? I would hate to take the loop apart for no reason when it's a matter of waiting until the cables arrive and then everything works. If I'm way off and there is anything someone recommends that I have to take the loop apart, no problem. I just need a reason. My only guess is the CPU is not getting power or something and that's why the pump won't kick on. Not sure if the panel header is the problem, but I just wanted to be sure. I'm lost. I really hope someone can help me with this problem.

Last edited:

javiermaggio

Honorable
Jun 21, 2018
So I've eliminated the cable extenders from the 24 pin and the gpu cables because that's helped others.
My pump's installation instructions says to land the fan cable on the "CPU_FAN" header since it has pwm. I moved my pump to the "AIO" header on the mb and the fan/rgb hub to the "CPU_FAN" header. When I power up the system, my pump works and the loop has no leaks.
I tried single stick ram configuration on both sticks, and still nothing. Also tried hooking up monitor to mother board DP and HDMI, as well as the GPU's DP and HDMI.
My monitor turns on, so it recognized that something was plugged in, but nothing comes up on the screen and the monitor shuts off after a second. Still no BIOS screen.
I just reset the CMOS and I'm about to try and eliminate the GPU from the loop completely, but I might just take the whole thing apart and look at the CPU, but I'm not really sure that"s going to do anything.
The mb manual shows all the leds and what will light up when something is wrong, but I got nothing. I put the motherboard speaker from my old computer on and no beeps. The digital screen with numbers is at "00" indicated nothing wrong. I have no pc right now because I only have so many fitting and one pump. Of course this is a completely different socket type from my 9900k and it's ddr5 ram on the new board, so I can't test them on another system. Totally lost on this one.

Reactions: DrBitBoss
Status
Not open for further replies.