New MacBook Pros Gain Thunderbolt, Goes AMD

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
For those prices you can buy a really, really good business class computer from Dell or Lenovo. My TWO YEAR OLD! Dell E6500 still has better specs than the much more expensive entry level 15" MBP. And even though it only has Vista Business, it has a much better OS than the entry level MBP. (And I also own a Mac running the latest Mac OS so I know how the OS compares.)

gpog

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
So perhaps the mysterious smaller than USB upending at the top iPad 2 cases is for a thunderbolt connection. Just sayin.

G

@molo9000 and rohitbaran

generally i would agree, but in this instance i would prefer thunderbolt not come to the market until they move over to the light based devices, ive a feeling the rename to thunderbolt was a thinly veil attempt at distracting the public from realizing the cooper based thunderbolt simply wont be compatible with the light based one

as for the lack of usb 3, well thats probably a by-product of adopting thunderbolt

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
USB3 can do 4800Mb, or 570 MB. Yeah this is only half of what Thunderbolt can do, but its backwards compatible with basically every device in existence. USB3 would have been a far better option for these new devices, the cult will buy them and love them anyways.

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
[citation][nom]shotgunpadre[/nom]99 cents too much! I'm not going to buy a mac..[/citation]

Its not just about the small price, it has more to do with Apple starting to nickle and dime as much as possible. I like Apple but starting to get fed-up with their constant money hungry, keep their investors happy over anything else way of doing business.

hmohniii

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2010
[citation][nom]cadder[/nom]For those prices you can buy a really, really good business class computer from Dell or Lenovo. My TWO YEAR OLD! Dell E6500 still has better specs than the much more expensive entry level 15" MBP. And even though it only has Vista Business, it has a much better OS than the entry level MBP. (And I also own a Mac running the latest Mac OS so I know how the OS compares.)[/citation]

Don't know what spec sheet you are looking at, but perhaps you should do some research before posting...

Your Dell E6500 uses a Core 2 Duo with a max speed of 2.8Ghz. The new 15" Macbook is *quad* core at 2.0Ghz and can turbo boost up to 2.9Ghz, supports Hyperthreading, uses DDR3 memory, etc. The newer processor is newer technology and can't be compaired by Ghz speed difference alone!

Both support the same amount of RAM, although the Dell uses DDR2 memory. As for graphics, the entry level Macbook uses the 6490M. Even it's little brother the 6370M(also named the 5470) beats out your Dell's Quadro NVS 160M(see: http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-Quadro-NVS-160M.11908.0.html Mobility HD 5470 is 76% faster based on their benchmarks).

When it comes to the OS, the OS is only as good as what you do with it. So to say OS X is not as good as Vista is an opinion, not a fact. I had Vista Ultimate(now have Windows 7 Ultimate) and prefered OS X to either it or Windows 7. OS choice is mostly opinion, not fact. For instance, I think Linux is better the Windows, but Linux is limited when it comes to gaming and such. It all depends on what you are trying to do with the OS.

And before anyone starts calling me a mac fanboy... I've only owned one Mac, and don't actually even have it now(had to sell due to financial issues...held value very well and was able to resell for quite a bit, lol). Their products do tend to be pricey, but you do get what you pay for. If you compare laptops spec for spec(and not just take them at face value like cadder has), then you aren't really paying that much more then a Windows based laptop. Also, when it comes to OS X upgrades, $50 to go from Leopard to Snow Leopard was MUCH better then the couple hundred I had to drop to go from Vista to Win7.

blackjellognomes

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2009
[citation][nom]rpotratz_98[/nom]This is also there professional series notebooks, yet they continue to use consumer level graphic chipsets. Why not use a fire gl chipset or a quatro chipset? At least most high end applications have certified those cards.[/citation][citation][nom]Razor512[/nom]the move to the onboard intel only crap video is a really bad move, this means that people who don't want the insanely expensive macbook pro wont actually be able to use it for much professional/ system intensive applications such as 3d modeling or other tasks that require a decent videocard and proper hardware acceleration. (upgrading to that model will mean lower gaming and workstation app performance)The FacePalm... I mean FaceTime app is useless anyway, far more people have skype.[/citation]These comments are silly. The majority of MBP users are college students, not engineers. MacBooks will never have FireGL/Quadro GPUs. Also, their most "professional" users are film editors and graphic designers. SB's Quick Sync is perfect for their uses.
Do your homework before commenting, please.

dgriffs

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2008
I was hoping for discrete graphics in the 13" mbp so I could do some gaming. After they update the regular macbook, what reason will there be to get a 13" pro? Pay an extra $100 for a different exterior? Paying $1,800+ just to have a discrete graphics card is ridiculous.

sundragon

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
Awww Cupcake...

God forbid anyone tries to make money! I mean Dell, Motorola, HTC, IBM, ASUS, none of these guys are in for a profit...

Oh, Microsoft - who brought us Vista? Wait... There is nothing Apple has produced in the last decade that comes close to the disaster that was Vista...

Oh, you may be interested to note that Apple has introduced Thunderbolt (Lightspeed) before Dell, ASUS, IBM, etc...

Keep your money, spend it on what you want - Oh yeah, that's part of free market Capitalism you seem to have an issue with - Komrad ;) No seriously - Don't buy Apple products - but be honest about who innovates...

Hugs and kisses

[citation][nom]v4nquish[/nom]Sounds like Microsoft. And I agree with you.[/citation]

Status
Not open for further replies.