New Microsoft Ad Says Macs are Cool With Kids

Status
Not open for further replies.

curnel_D

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
I dont think it's as good as the other two. But honestly, I enjoyed the jerry and bill show a ton more. :p
I already know why PC's are superior, now I just want to be entertained.

curnel_D

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
"Microsoft’s released the third TV spot of its Laptop Hunters, where mother and sun peruse Best Buy"
There's one easy caught mispelling.

Not to mention the article title blows.

chaosgs

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
Why wouldn't Microsoft fund Circuit city the cash to make these commercials? Its not fair, CC doesn't even sell macs so were already on their side.

chaosgs

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
[citation][nom]curnel_d[/nom]"Microsoft’s released the third TV spot of its Laptop Hunters, where mother and sun peruse Best Buy" There's one easy caught mispelling.Not to mention the article title blows.[/citation]
Dont think that misspelling is gonna kill anyone, but i can say the title is bull crap considering that was never said. "they are kinda popular with this age".

bardia

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2007
As irritating as this ad is, the point that the Sony FW is kicking Apple in the balls is well made.

For $1500 you can easily configure an FW that is significantly dominate over the 17" Macbook. I'm not sure such a price disparity exists on the 13.3" level... certainly Sony has nothing at the price that can compete with the 13" Macbook that I'm aware of, but the 17" is simply abused by the FW series.

Greatwalrus

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
Check out the lady's expression at about 0:28 :p

I just wish they would change the background music; I am starting to get very tired of it :\

tomm09

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
My little sister who just went to college bought a macbook, she is not expert on computers. I told her it is piece junk, should have gone with PC. But she didn't care, she wanted the cool looking.

SirCrono

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
Oh my, I've never seen so little MS bashing in a MS related news...

The ad was funny and true, but as others have said, I liked the Bill and Jerry show better

Marcus Yam

Splendid
Jul 1, 2008
[citation][nom]curnel_d[/nom]"Microsoft’s released the third TV spot of its Laptop Hunters, where mother and sun peruse Best Buy" There's one easy caught mispelling.Not to mention the article title blows.[/citation]
The article title was not my doing, but I can defend my apparent "mispelling" (which, ironically, is correctly spelled misspelling).

I can bring you exclusive news that mother has acquired Sun Microsystems. After the falling out with IBM, Sun decided to go back to its roots to its safest origins -- with the maternal figure.

No, not really. But it's Friday, so why not. :p

Thanks for reading, guys.

drrich2

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2008
The son replies, "it’s a little too small," while touching a MacBook White.

Funny how all those netbooks selling with Windows don't seem to strike Microsoft as 'a little too small.'
Eventually the mother and son find a Sony Vaio, to which the pair expresses glee at the inclusion of Blu-ray -- something definitely not available on Macs...

Ah, yes, Blu-ray...if money's an issue for this family, bet they're gonna love the cost of blank discs! Or maybe they watch their movies on that little notebook screen.

Frankly, considering how ignorant these people were painted to be when they got to the store, how little research they seem to've done before walking into the store, are we supposed to be impressed or moved by their buying decision?

An interesting point of these Microsoft commercials is that the 'customers' (yeah, right) don't seem to've actually used both operating systems and formed an independent opinion. The commercials are largely misleading without that factored in (especially since Macs can run Windows, and PCs can't run Mac OS for the most part). The difference between Mac & PC is heavily impacted by the OS difference; you'd think Microsoft would know that, seeing as how they're mainly a software/OS & related app.s company.

Gee, maybe they do. Maybe that's why they're focusing on the hardware made by HP and Sony.

Richard.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
I think this is the best one so far. You can always tell how good a Microsoft commercial is by how much hot air the mac faithful blow out. I had to sit there and watch an exaggerated one sided view of the Mac-PC debate with all the "I'm a PC, I'm a Mac" commercials now sit and watch Microsoft play the game game.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
The commercials may not be the best and certainly isn't catchy in anyway so they will never be remembered however they make a strong point that is actually truthful and I think that's where the success will come from. People who see the advertisement thinking about getting a Mac will at least consider a windows based computer and undoubtedly some will ditch the Mac.

fancarolina

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2009
How is this news?

This is the kind of crap that shouldn't even be on this site. Talk about a waste of a persons time writing or dare I say "Reserching" this topic.

duckmanx88

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
Richard please keep your fanboy comments to yourself. MS fights back at a price point you respond by calling it weak? I don't have an extra $1000 to spend on a machine that does exactly the same thing I would do on Windows.

ph3412b07

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2008
[citation][nom]drrich2[/nom]Frankly, considering how ignorant these people were painted to be when they got to the store, how little research they seem to've done before walking into the store, are we supposed to be impressed or moved by their buying decision?... The commercials are largely misleading without that factored in (especially since Macs can run Windows, and PCs can't run Mac OS for the most part). [/citation]

Wow. Talk about trolling and fail fanboy. For noticing that the OS is a key difference but then failing to realize that either OS runs on x86 instruction sets (That would be all AMD and Intel cpus). PC's don't run Mac OS because it's ILLEGAL. A hackintosh itself is easy to set up for the computer literate. On the other hand, Microsoft has no qualms with a Mac user installing a Windows OS.

There's nothing wrong with Microsoft advertising for PC's (regardless of brand). Apple is a company built on marketing, and will probably release a slew of new ads in response.

christop

Distinguished
tomm09 04/10/2009 11:55 PM

My little sister who just went to college bought a macbook, she is not expert on computers. I told her it is piece junk, should have gone with PC. But she didn't care, she wanted the cool looking.

Ok the pro-books are not junk... Have you used a new one.. I bet not.

norbs

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
This MS VS Mac thing is retarded... you guys are all buying into the hype of both. Just use what you like and stfu. I use both mac os and Windows and then some. I just like tech stuff. They both offer a depth more then is visible. OS X has a huge learning curve once you start getting into the terminal as well does Windows based machines if you start doing even simple scripts and batch files. Not to mention now they have the whole powershell 2.0 (i bearly knew anything about the original powershell)...

Anyways just use what you want and stop fighting about it. It's kind of retarded...

cataclymistic100

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
Uh.... Aren't macs way more popular in college than with 11 year olds. Though I do here a lot of younger teens(not knowing any 11 year olds) say how macs are awesome yet they never buy them.

drrich2

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2008
duckmanx88:

Richard please keep your fanboy comments to yourself.

You post then wade in with your comments. Hypocrisy. It's a public forum for sharing just such comments.

I use both Macs & Windows PCs (VISTA Home Premium and XP operating systems). I see both having their strong points.

I don't have an extra $1000 to spend on a machine that does exactly the same thing I would do on Windows.

For many people 'doing it on Windows' isn't the same as 'doing it on Mac,' though I suppose that's a matter of individual taste & opinion.

ph3412b07:

Wow. Talk about trolling and fail fanboy.

No trolling to it. I made rational observations based on what I saw, no more inflammatory than a number of anti-Mac comments I've seen posted in response to some of the articles.

For noticing that the OS is a key difference but then failing to realize that either OS runs on x86 instruction sets (That would be all AMD and Intel cpus). PC's don't run Mac OS because it's ILLEGAL. A hackintosh itself is easy to set up for the computer literate. On the other hand, Microsoft has no qualms with a Mac user installing a Windows OS.

I didn't 'fail to realize' any such thing. I've got a MacPro and I'm well aware it's an Intel processor; after all, it can double as PC via Bootcamp if so desired. I didn't see the need to point out that Macs use Intel processors; I assume the people posting here already know that.

I'm aware people can make a 'Hackintosh.' I'm also aware that it seems only a small minority of the Mac community has done this, and I figure most people apt to be influenced by these commercials probably aren't apt to do that. Doubtless there'll be a few exceptions.

Microsoft doesn't rely on PC hardware sales profits as a substantial part of its revenue. Yes, Microsoft will happily sell you all the copies of Windows you care to buy.

Richard.

michaelahess

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
Seriously, why all the arguing over this? Mac's have their place, of course, just like PC's.

What we need to be worried about is all the retarded school kids buying expensive laptops to do their homework. Money no longer seems to matter, which means these idiots will perpetuate our current economic situation. Which of course is based off poor money management for those of you who can't put 2 and 2 together.

Parents need to stand up and say, "hell no, a $3000 laptop is NOT going with you to school!" Even if the kid can affford it with his/her own money the parents should explain the lost concept of need vs. want!

Now if you need a mobile video workstation or some such, sure grab a Mac if you think it's worth it. Otherwise be a WISE consumer and get something better and cheaper.

Own a BMW/Merc/Jag, etc? You fall into that entire economic crisis cause thing I mentioned earlier. If you bought it used for a good price, you're exempt :)

Status
Not open for further replies.