New Microsoft Surface Video Ditches the Dancing

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
Very informative.

Does this mean that Office will be included with RT? That might make it worth it for a lot of business/school applications, rather than getting a 300 dollar laptop that is great, but doesn't include industry-standard office suite (or only has a 60 day trial).

zorky9

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009
I am kinda disappointed at the pricing. The Touch Cover has been one of its key user experience attribute and main selling point, but is not included in the $499 price tag.

That's a much better commercial for a product aimed at "productivity".

Good one, MS.

Now, that being said, I'll wait for some patches and fixes before jumping on board Win8, hehe.

Cheers!

G

"Surface is yours, your way of playing, your way of connecting etc." -- unless you are using Windows 8 on a PC, then it's OUR way to stuff Surface's UI up your butt.

PC users say: Surface is great but we don't want Surface UI *forced* on our Windows 8 PC's!
M$ says: We don't care, squeeze your arses and deal with it. And give this man thumbs down, quickly!
M$ says: From now on, PC users are second class citizens as far as this company is concerned!

Niavlys77

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
[citation][nom]jacobdrj[/nom]Very informative. Does this mean that Office will be included with RT? That might make it worth it for a lot of business/school applications, rather than getting a 300 dollar laptop that is great, but doesn't include industry-standard office suite (or only has a 60 day trial).[/citation]

Yes, RT comes with Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint and OneNote I believe is what's included). The other versions of Windows 8 won't come with Office.

zorky9

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009
[citation][nom]mynameis1[/nom]the touch cover/with flat keyboard is included you have to pay extra for the touch plus keyboard.[/citation]
Touch cover is $120 extra, Type cover $130 extra.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
I watched the video on my iPad on the toilet... Will the surface be a better toilet device?

The other AD was more hip and apple like, better then the win8 AD... I must admit, I'm not going to buy one, it's substandard to the ipad3 in almost every way for the same price.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]merball[/nom]"Surface is yours, your way of playing, your way of connecting etc." -- unless you are using Windows 8 on a PC, then it's OUR way to stuff Surface's UI up your butt.[/citation]
Use Windows R8PE today. Its not legitimate r8pe because you paid for it.

I'm also thinking that some people are thinking "What the hell is Windows RT? What does RT stand for? Real Turd? Real Trash?"

G

Offer me a tablet with an Intel i5, 4+GB RAM and 128GB SSD at a reasonable price and I'll willingly kick my Android tablet (toy) to the curb. I'm a software developer who wants to scratch out code, manage databases, edit/create media and watch Netflix from one device that I can easily take with me wherever I go. If the Surface Pro is executed well Microsoft will make a helluva lot of cash from professionals similar to me.

deadlockedworld

Distinguished
[citation][nom]jacobdrj[/nom]Very informative. Does this mean that Office will be included with RT? That might make it worth it for a lot of business/school applications, rather than getting a 300 dollar laptop that is great, but doesn't include industry-standard office suite (or only has a 60 day trial).[/citation]

Yes.

mynameis1

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012
but it says the offfice is a preview edition ?
i guess we won't really know until its all released.. i am looking for to it.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
Yeah it will.
But.
My problems with the RT:
1. $100+ bucks for a cover/keyboard???
2. Proprietary HD out connector, "sold separately"
3. I'm not sure how good the "touch cover" will be for typing, and how much does the "type cover" cost?

Seeing that they're selling the surface RT at a profit, i think you should have got the full package (choice of touch/type cover + the HD out connector) at $550.

I think the Pro model is brilliant by comparison, if its battery can offer 8 hours of work (note making, reading, video playback, occasional word processing, giving presentations, etc). And yes, if it sells for $800 WITH the cover.

I mean, the pro has USB 3.0, mini DisplayPort, the stylus/digital pen/whatever they're calling it is included, too. And an IVB i5, 4GB RAM, a 1080p display, slightly heavier but i couldn't really care.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]mynameis1[/nom]but it says the offfice is a preview edition ?i guess we won't really know until its all released.. i am looking for to it.[/citation]
Yeah it's preview ed till the full suite is ready to be released, and people will get a free upgrade.

G

Crap Resolution, Crap Metro Interface, Crap App collection (So far, this will improve to be fair) Quite high in cost compared to competition ( as much as I dislike Apple the new iPad is better ) and the biggest fail for a tablet..

No GPS--Utter fail!

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
If you went to the Surface URL provided at the end of the spot, you would have gotten answers to those questions. However, that kind of strategy banks on the viewer being intrigued enough to actively go searching for more information. And that's a lot to ask right off the bat.
Wow, thanks a lot, seeing as the USA pumps around 17 minutes of ad breaks into every hour of broadcast TV, you would think that everyone would be ignorant of how the ad industry operates
Media Studies 101, thanks Jane!!!

mynameis1

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Wow, thanks a lot, seeing as the USA pumps around 17 minutes of ad breaks into every hour of broadcast TV, you would think that everyone would be ignorant of how the ad industry operates...Media Studies 101, thanks Jane!!![/citation]

then don't buy it.

mynameis1

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012
[citation][nom]moricon[/nom]Crap Resolution, Crap Metro Interface, Crap App collection (So far, this will improve to be fair) Quite high in cost compared to competition ( as much as I dislike Apple the new iPad is better ) and the biggest fail for a tablet..No GPS--Utter fail![/citation]

then don't buy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.