[SOLVED] New MOBO - Can I update bios and install drivers using a USB Stick?

Xykiiee

Prominent
Sep 27, 2020
I am currently building a gaming rig and I haven't finished yet, I don't have a CD drive for me to install the bios, I just want to ask this in advance so I can finish this build without me spending hours searching online to find my answer. I know this is kinda silly question but can I transfer the files to a USB stick and boot it from there? And should I use NTFS or FAT system type?

Solution
So I can just plug in a USB stick that contains the updated BIOS file and boot the BIOS, then install the OS then I'm good to go from there?
boot to BIOS right off, then go to BIOS update section. It will prompt you to plug in the USB stick drive with the updated BIOS on it. My motherboard will reboot into an update utility and then run the update if it finds a compatible BIOS on the USB stick.

Once the BIOS is updated, reboot BACK into BIOS and confirm it's updated. Then shut down and do a CMOS reset.

After that, plug in the USB stick with your Windows installation package on it, created by the Media Creation tool, and it will find it and boot to the install process.

BTW: I'm assuming you've already determined that a BIOS...
Yes you can use a USB stick... in fact, most new systems have no sort of optical drive at all. You'll want to use a USB stick to hold the BIOS update, but drivers can be installed right off the system drive after you download them. When you install Windows it will use default drivers for LAN (but maybe not WiFi) and audio that are perfectly useable.

Even if you have a Windows10 install CD, download the Media Creation Tool from Microsoft and let it create an installation package on a USB stick drive. It's better because you'll get the latest version and waste a lot less time downloading updates once installed.

Use NTFS... if installing Windows 10 I think that's all it will let you use now for the system partitions. Only use FAT32 on small partitions, especially on USB stick drives.

Last edited:

Xykiiee

Prominent
Sep 27, 2020
Yes you can use a USB stick... in fact, most new systems have no sort of optical drive at all. You'll want to use a USB stick to hold the BIOS update, but drivers can be installed right off the system drive after you download them. When you install Windows it will use default drivers that are perfectly useable.

Use NTFS... if installing Windows 10 I think that's all it will let you use now for the system partitions. Only use FAT32 on small partitions, especially on USB stick drives.

So I can just plug in a USB stick that contains the updated BIOS file and boot the BIOS, then install the OS then I'm good to go from there?

boot to BIOS right off, then go to BIOS update section. It will prompt you to plug in the USB stick drive with the updated BIOS on it. My motherboard will reboot into an update utility and then run the update if it finds a compatible BIOS on the USB stick.

Once the BIOS is updated, reboot BACK into BIOS and confirm it's updated. Then shut down and do a CMOS reset.

After that, plug in the USB stick with your Windows installation package on it, created by the Media Creation tool, and it will find it and boot to the install process.

BTW: I'm assuming you've already determined that a BIOS update is really necessary for your motherboard.

Last edited:
Reactions: Xykiiee
Solution

Xykiiee

Prominent
Sep 27, 2020

After that, plug in the USB stick with your Windows installation package on it and it will find it and boot to the install process.
Thank you so much, now I can rest easy when I finish this build. Again, thanks :)