New Mobo, CPU or Both?

Jul 26, 2018
I have a F2A68HM-HD2 Mobo,A8 5600K, 16gb ram, 256gb SSD main, 1TB & 2TB HDD's, GTX1060 3gb.

I know the Mobo is not the greatest but rather than the 'APU' A8 is there a better 'CPU' I could get any benefit from switching too (X4 860??) ??

I do Play games and have no problems at the mo but if anything the Processor is my bottleneck.

Solution
That motherboard socket, FM2/FM2+, was kind of low end back when new, which is why it's not worth upgrading. You'd be going from very slow APU to slightly less slow CPU or APU.

Cheap solution: Buy a pre-built i5 Sandy Bridge or Ivy Bridge based system(i5 2400/i5 3470) and toss your 1060 in there, plus your memory, hard drive, etc. You will get far, far better performance than you're getting now. It means using a pre-built with all the negatives that entails. You'll be stuck with the pre-built case and you'll need to find one that allows power supply upgrades since it's likely you'll need to upgrade a pre-builts PSU.

Better but more costly solution: A new core component combo of CPU/motherboard/DDR4 ram. Since these will be standard...
Unfortunately, upgrading to the fastest cpu your board would do little to improve your situation. The A10-7890K is the fastest cpu and would provide a very small performance increase, about 5% single threaded improvement.

The best option imo, would be to hold off for a little and save up for a new build.

If you want less bottle necking now and are on a budget, i'd recommend looking for a 3rd or 4th gen i7/i5 intel prebuilt to transfer your parts into.

That motherboard socket, FM2/FM2+, was kind of low end back when new, which is why it's not worth upgrading. You'd be going from very slow APU to slightly less slow CPU or APU.

Cheap solution: Buy a pre-built i5 Sandy Bridge or Ivy Bridge based system(i5 2400/i5 3470) and toss your 1060 in there, plus your memory, hard drive, etc. You will get far, far better performance than you're getting now. It means using a pre-built with all the negatives that entails. You'll be stuck with the pre-built case and you'll need to find one that allows power supply upgrades since it's likely you'll need to upgrade a pre-builts PSU.

Better but more costly solution: A new core component combo of CPU/motherboard/DDR4 ram. Since these will be standard components you can simply swap them in and remove your old ones. Then reuse everything else.

Solution