[SOLVED] New mobo: pc will not boot from old SSD.

Dec 31, 2020
For the past day I have been trying to get back on my pc I have changed so many combos of BIOs etc to get back into my system.

I got a new mobo, RAM, and CPU and all three are posting fine. I can get into bios fine but as soon as I get into the menu where I choose where to boot from the second I press something I get a black background/blue windows icon screen with no spinning wheel under. Am I meant to actually leave it at this point if there’s no spiny wheel? From what I’ve seen it usually takes you to the purple windows install/language screen but is there a chance that because m booting from an old it’s just going through but is showing no signs of loading...?

I also get loops where it just says ‘preparing automatic repair’ and nothing ever happens.

Am I actually meant to leave it when it gets to one of these blank screens with no turny wheel/preparing repair... or does it do indefinitely. In all honesty the most I’ve waited for these screens is half an hour because I know there isn’t usually any waiting at this point in the process.

When I try and boot through CSM/legacy I just get ‘reboot and select proper boot device’.

Is there a chance my OS crashed and I need a new one? I tried making a usb flash for a new install but because I have a Mac it’s really annoying to format and it just came up as a cut up windows icon on my screen when I booted the XFAT.

I’ve also ordered a new windows USB/license from Amazon so otherwise that’s my only hope.

Solution
I got a new mobo, RAM, and CPU
I also get loops where it just says ‘preparing automatic repair’ and nothing ever happens.

What you see is quite typical.

Solution:
Full OS reinstall.

When changing motherboards and using the old drive+OS, there are 3 possible outcomes:
  1. It works just fine
  2. It fails completely
  3. It works, but you're chasing issues for weeks/months.

You've found #2.
It is not the license, but rather the actual OS install. They are not the same thing.

USAFRet

Titan
I got a new mobo, RAM, and CPU

What you see is quite typical.

Solution:
Full OS reinstall.

When changing motherboards and using the old drive+OS, there are 3 possible outcomes:
  1. It works just fine
  2. It fails completely
  3. It works, but you're chasing issues for weeks/months.

You've found #2.
It is not the license, but rather the actual OS install. They are not the same thing.

Solution