New Monitor Stuttering/Freezing - (MSI Optix G27C2)

Aug 26, 2018
I bought this monitor and I'm having an issue when connected via displayport. Everything works fine when I connect with HDMI @ 120hz however as soon as I connect it using displayport the screen will start freezing every second. The mouse will be completely frozen on the desktop for around a second and then jump across the screen when it becomes unfrozen. Does this sound like a faulty cable? I'm using the displayport cable that was provided with the monitor.

I'm on windows 10

GPU is MSI Armor RX 480 8gb

I've done a clean install of my AMD drivers and have the latest software version.

Any help is appreciated

Aug 26, 2018
I just got the same monitor today. Also running RX 480. I'm going crazy about that stutter. I know the driver are the cause, as soon as you uninstall the drivers everything seem to work fine, and if you reinstall the latest drivers, same problem.

Levy23

Reputable
Jun 7, 2014
I've been having a similar problem only my mouse being idle is what kicks the stutter up. Any video I watch (YT, Netflix, from my files) and leaving the mouse still for 30+ seconds and it starts skipping but audio is fine. This entire system was fine until I got this MSI Optix MAG27CQ monitor and this is the first time I've used DisplayPort. Is the guru3d solution a good bet or am I having some other issue?

I've also noticed in task manager when this happens, my GPU-3D process kicks WAY up so something around there is causing this.

edit: I went to try the guru3d option but the installer claimed no AMD hardware was found which is silly cause I have the current 18.x.x installed.

edit 2: I switched back to HDMI, sacrificing that 144Hz for 120 but it seems to have stopped. Nvidia still says my monitor/cable is equipped for HDCP support but no more lag on idle mouse. Maybe its the cable? Or just the integration of the software/HDCP ill compatibility?

Levy23

Reputable
Jun 7, 2014

That isn't a solution for me; I don't have a setting on the monitor to turn off HDCP, my GPU is Nvidia which doesn't allow to turn that off and the Raedon software on my board doesn't have a software interface to turn it off.