New motherboard for hp pavillion a6040n

consume

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2009
I've had my HP Pavillion a6040n for about 2 years now and i've changed everything except the cpu and motherboard. My processor is an e63200 @ 1.86ghz and i figured it'd be best to swap motherboards so i can actually overclock it. And that leads to my question, do you think this is a good motherboard for the a6040n? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813121300 also, does the bios on this motherboard have good overclocking options? (multiplirer/fsb/etc..)

product information on my computer : http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00864946&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=3377278

i should also mention that i have a budget of 100 or less$

I just sold someone my asrock g43twins fullhd, and he gets a 33% overclock with his e4500. I used this board briefly in my compaq case. All the connectors fit. This board can use ddr2 or ddr3 memory (2 slots for each). I would skip Intel boards if you want to try overclocking. If you want to overclock on your present board, check out the articles for "pin mod". I used it on my hp board and it always allowed my e4300 to boot up at 1066 (instead of 800) a 33% overclock. It works well as it doesn't effect memory settings. The copper tape used is only sold at a few locations. The tape is on a large roll with backing that you peel off to press the sticky side against the side of the cpu, connecting 2 of the pads. But the asrock board won't even post with a pin modded cpu; must be the bios settings.

monoxyde

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
I've got a Pavilion A6040n and I believe my motherboard just died on me. I tried to upgrade to a PCI-X video card that needs a bigger power supply. I've tried two 400W power supplies to no avail. I know the HD and the CPU are good. Would you recommend getting a barebones pc (Motherboard + Case)? Or do you think that motherboard that you linked to would fit inside of the HP case that I already have? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

The asrock g43 twins fullhd board will fit your hp case. It's a standard micro-atx board. If you want 4 ddr2 memory slots, then a g33 chipset board should work. Mine is made by ecs and all the compaq presario case connections fit. I found it closeout at Fry's electronics for $19.99. Currently, they still have it listed at $39.99 closeout at some locations. For the power supply, if you have a high end video card, get a 600-750w antec, seasonic, ocz, enermax, corsair, or pc power and cooling. All are good brands, and newegg has a good selection. Remember to back up your files before changing boards. Your non-hp board won't work with hp proprietary software; you'll probably have to format and start over. Norton ghost is one backup program you can use. Vista comes with a backup program, but you have to be careful when formating a portion of your old drive to save the backup files if you use it. I usually just format the whole drive and start over. My online service saves my email files and favorite websites. Your hp backup dvd's also won't work. You'll need any standard vista dvd. Some software venders listed on pricewatch sell dell oem dvd's for vista and xp, and they cost $15-20 shipped. After installation, use your old coa sticker number to reactivate windows. It's a shame you didn't catch me earlier. I was selling my hp board for $37 shipped; traded it for a copy of xp instead.

If you want to save some money, and only need 2 memory slots, newegg has several g31 open box boards for around $32-35 shipped which will fit your hp case. They sometimes list a biostar model for $27.99 plus shipping. Biostar will ship you a backplate for free, and most of these boards don't come with it or any other accessories.

monoxyde

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009

The only thing that I see for that price is the http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813158004R . This may be a dumb question, but I really don't need a micro-atx do I? Or does it matter if its micro-atx or just regular atx? I only really need 2 memory slots, I don't plan on upgrading memory anytime soon. Direct link me to one of those motherboards you were talking about if you don't mind. Thanks in advance.

I finally located your hp motherboard, and it's atx. I recommend you check out an ecs G43-M HDMI micro atx board at newegg for $79.99 plus you get a $10 rebate. Ecs isn't known for overclocking, but this board has an Intel chipset, 4 ddr2 slots, and hdmi support for dvd playback. Your board has built in video; if you don't need this, and have a separate video card, then many p45 boards will fit your case. Newegg also has a foxconn ELA p45 board without the onboard video for $69.99 that has more pci slots if you need them.

monoxyde

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
You're the man. Last question. I've never over clocked before, but with the default a6040n CPU, what would it be feasible to overclock it to without adding a bigger heatsink our external cooling device, etc?

monoxyde

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009

All the ECS motherboards I see are AMD chipset.

For overclocking, select motherboard>Intel>p45 and read some newegg reviews. None of the p45 boards I saw came with onboard video, so be ready to purchase a separate video card if you don't already have one. The success of overclocking depends on your power supply, memory, voltage comfort level (some folks will go higher than others on cpu voltage) and luck of the draw.

monoxyde

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
Well, I feel like a dummy now. The reason my computer wasn't working was I had accidentally unplugged the front panel from the motherboard. :eek: whoops! Anyhow, I finally got it working with my new graphics card. :-D Yay for 1080p. Is the factory Asus motherboard that comes with the HP overclockable?